Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 26, I've a Master's degree, I have a job, I live by myself and I'm pretty independent.

And yet, I don't feel like a "grown up". My hobbies are still what they always were - comic books, video games, anime, RPGs, etc.

I don't want kids and I'm pretty responsible but it seems like I've to change my interests to be an "actual adult". Like I'm supposed to like whiskey, sports and whatever stuff other guys post on their instagram accounts (women with big asses in swimsuits, bundles of cash and automatic rifles?). But I don't. I collect pop vinyl figures and watch South Park.

It seems many people view my hobbies as being childish or at least not fit for a 26 year old guy. Girls especially think this and although in real life, most won't let you know in your face, on the internet, they will.

Am I being paranoid or do many people think like this? I realise most people here are younger than me but do you think your hobbies have to change as you grow up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 26, I've a Master's degree, I have a job, I live by myself and I'm pretty independent.

And yet, I don't feel like a "grown up". My hobbies are still what they always were - comic books, video games, anime, RPGs, etc.

I don't want kids and I'm pretty responsible but it seems like I've to change my interests to be an "actual adult". Like I'm supposed to like whiskey, sports and whatever stuff other guys post on their instagram accounts (women with big asses in swimsuits, bundles of cash and automatic rifles?). But I don't. I collect pop vinyl figures and watch South Park.

It seems many people view my hobbies as being childish or at least not fit for a 26 year old guy. Girls especially think this and although in real life, most won't let you know in your face, on the internet, they will.

Am I being paranoid or do many people think like this? I realise most people here are younger than me but do you think your hobbies have to change as you grow up?
    Lol, I have the exact same mentality.
    You're just hanging out with an incompatible crowd, I suppose. Reddit is a good place for you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm the same age as you. I didn't feel like an adult until I got my driving license tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Most people eat a diet today that's highly deficient in key nutrients and so their brain never develops. You sound like a classic case.

Eat organic vegetables, red meat and supplement with nutrients like zinc, omega 3, molybdenum, selenium.

I used to be really kiddy only 2 years ago and following a Paleo diet has totally altered my mindset, self belief, and improved my strength, intelligence and confidence tenfold.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are an adult, you seem to be coping well with all your responsibilities (of owning a job and house in particular. I have neither despite being 22)

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I'm the same age as you. I didn't feel like an adult until I got my driving license tbh.
    How is this relevant to the OP?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you think like that? Everyone is different, being into these things doesn't mean you are not an adult. Those guys posting those images on instagram i find are always the immature ones. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy your life.

ReputationRep:
    WoodyMKC lookin at you :unimpressed:

(women with big asses in swimsuits, bundles of cash and automatic rifles?).
    I had a good laugh at that.

But to your question, I can't imagine myself completely losing interest in anime and video games altogether. I would just cut down time on my interests as I get older, but never completely lose it.

(Original post by Zeus007)
    Why would you think like that? Everyone is different, being into these things doesn't mean you are not an adult. Those guys posting those images on instagram i find are always the immature ones. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy your life.
    They are not "mature" hobbies like wine tasting and riding motorcycles.

ReputationRep:
    You do you. If you're happy with your current hobbies - comic books, video games, anime, RPGs, etc. why change it? Don't force yourself to do a different hobby just for the sake of "appearing more adult".

(Original post by Badger_)
    You do you. If you're happy with your current hobbies - comic books, video games, anime, RPGs, etc. why change it? Don't force yourself to do a different hobby just for the sake of "appearing more adult".
    I don't want to change it and I won't change it but I'm only wondering whether I'm really seen as "immature" or "boyish" and not "manly" enough because of my interests.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to change it and I won't change it but I'm only wondering whether I'm really seen as "immature" or "boyish" and not "manly" enough because of my interests.
    No. I think this is a case of "overthinking" things. Just relax and enjoy life.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It is not about what hobbies you have.

(Original post by Badger_)
    No. I think this is a case of "overthinking" things. Just relax and enjoy life.
    Maybe I'm really affected by some comments people close to me have made, idk.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter what other people think as long as you enjoy those hobbies. Don't change to make yourself appear "grown-up" - wait for the friends/a partner who share those interests to come along and enjoy them with you. I'm 24 and swear I'm getting more immature with age in regards to interests lol. But I share those interests with my Dad, my best friend, and my boyfriend so it doesn't matter. I've surrounded myself with people who like these things too instead of judging me based on them.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not worth changing your hobbies to try and fit into whatever you think the majority of the public thinks is "normal". Let's be honest - who are you doing it for? Not yourself!

Once you're independent and have your own place and job, that's being an adult imo!

ReputationRep:
    U sound like a cool guy tbh :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to be an adult?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.