Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    So I will probably have to share a room with someone at uni because it is the only accommodation the university has left to offer. But I absolutely hate the idea of not being able to have time alone to recharge- for a whole year! I am really nervous about sharing with someone else.

Has anyone had positive experiences with sharing a room? Especially if you're introverted :/
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Bump!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ask to be put on the waiiting list to be moved to a single room of one becomes available. there will normally be leavers in the first month.
    There are alos private halls you cna look at? Have you checked?

It can work out and you can make a great friend. Bit pot luck though, Maybe set out some rules beforehand and make sure you have an equal share.

ReputationRep:
    Nightmare. Try and look for alternatives
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RelucBeam)
    Nightmare. Try and look for alternatives
    I emailed them to ask, but no reply yet :/ it actually would be my idea of hell tbh
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    I emailed them to ask, but no reply yet :/ it actually would be my idea of hell tbh
    Then dont do it. Ask accommodation if they have anything temporrary where you can stay till a single room becomes available. Honestly some people will leave their course early because they cant deal with being homesick etc.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then dont do it. Ask accommodation if they have anything temporrary where you can stay till a single room becomes available. Honestly some people will leave their course early because they cant deal with being homesick etc.
    I hope a room becomes available eventually then! Or to keep things less complicated do you think I should just go for it and try my best to make the most out of the situation?

ReputationRep:
    Just try spending much of your day out of the room then

ReputationRep:
    It really is hit and miss I'm afraid. I had two roomates (first dropped out) and they were both great. The first one I had was more a friend of convenience (i.e. we probably wouldn't have been friends otherwise - just different views etc.) but my second (who I was very shy around at first and vice versa) turned out to be amazing and by the end of the year I was genuinely upset she was moving back abroad (erasmus). We still talk a bit though. She also spent a lot of her time asleep which helped with the recharging.

I'm not biased because other people in my halls had terrible roommates so I know both sides. If you get a good roommate, it'll probably help you come out of your shell and you could have a friend for life. If not, well, that's part of the university experience :P

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.