Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it common to fail the adult nursing course? I know you get two chances at each module but is it common that students fail a module and are unable to progress or not?? I'm starting in September and terrified of failing!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Clb4)
    Is it common to fail the adult nursing course? I know you get two chances at each module but is it common that students fail a module and are unable to progress or not?? I'm starting in September and terrified of failing!!
    Sorry to see you've had no specific responses about this.. perhaps you can post in the nursing forum?

As difficult as it is to deal with anxiety, nerves etc, I would say wait till you get there and see what happens, and most importantly, give all you've got in order not to fail.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I've moved this to the nursing forum. Here's a :bump: for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clb4)
    I know this isn't helpful but I kinda feel the same way! I too am starting in September.

I've heard pharmacology is particularly difficult for some people, and i'm not sure, but I remember people at my interview saying you have to get 100% on one of the tests .I guess that is a good thing though as you don't want to be making mistakes when it comes to giving out medications to people!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how good your uni is I suppose! Overall drop out rate for my uni 40%. BUT my particular trust is 3% (the lowest) and that's because they are known for supporting their students. But places like (I won't mention specifics actually!) have staggering drop out rates because there's nothing in place as means of support during placements. I too am very scared of failing and I don't know if that ever goes away to be honest. I'm half way through first year now and to be honest it goes that fast you don't have time to even think about it. You have work hard and put your studies first. If you do this youl be fine

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify are we talking about actually failing here, or the drop out rates? From what you've asked i'd guess you're talking about failing modules and not dropping out of the course for other reasons other than failing assignments etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    Just to clarify are we talking about actually failing here, or the drop out rates? From what you've asked i'd guess you're talking about failing modules and not dropping out of the course for other reasons other than failing assignments etc.
    I thought I'd just add the fact a uni is just as much as responsible for failing students (sometimes it can wholly be the student of course)...drop out rates was just an example. A lot do drop out because they've failed though and just not resubmitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I thought I'd just add the fact a uni is just as much as responsible for failing students (sometimes it can wholly be the student of course)...drop out rates was just an example. A lot do drop out because they've failed though and just not resubmitted.
    Why is the uni as responsible as the student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilibet01)
    Why is the uni as responsible as the student?
    Because some (not all please don't think I mean all) unis have very little help for students whilst on placement....students can feel isolated and whilst doing a ton of work and working full time and having no one to talk to can be hard. This is what I was told during my end of placement review. Hopefully when student loans come in theyl be able to afford the extra support but who knows!

ReputationRep:
    Because some (not all please don't think I mean all) unis have very little help for students whilst on placement....students can feel isolated and whilst doing a ton of work and working full time and having no one to talk to can be hard. This is what I was told during my end of placement review. Hopefully when student loans come in theyl be able to afford the extra support but who knows!
    Don't suppose you know about the placement support in Manchester do you? Would be helpful if so as I will be going to UoM in September to do my adult nursing degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    Don't suppose you know about the placement support in Manchester do you? Would be helpful if so as I will be going to UoM in September to do my adult nursing degree.
    I haven't heard anything negative about Manchester and know someone who went and she qualified last year and she never complained. I'm sure youl love it enjoy the experience as it goes mega quick apparently!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything negative about Manchester and know someone who went and she qualified last year and she never complained. I'm sure youl love it enjoy the experience as it goes mega quick apparently!
    Thanks, I will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.