Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya

Just looking to see if other people have maybe have advice or experienced similar things.

So I've lost a lot of weight (13 stones) - I still need to lose more but taking it easy right now to get my mind up to it as it's a big change.

I had one relationship before, which ended six months ago and since then been seeing different guys but nothing serious. Anyways, I do find it confusing since I am now in my twenties and not dated before because of my weight (extreme obesity as a child, started losing weight when I moved out from home). That guys all of a sudden showing interest is confusing enough for me. However, what I find hardest is that I sometimes feel like my friendships have changed the past six months after becoming single. When I go out with my friends the guys are now approaching me more than them, which has never happened before and my friends are starting to say a lot of harsh comments which they have never done before. e.g. a friend told me guys would *** quickly with me because they find me unnattractive. Another friend told me guys would approach me because I was a fat, short, brunnette, which makes me seem friendlier than a pretty and tall blond. Another friend told me I would never have any guys approach me in a club with beautiful women. and it just goes on.

I've told them that I do not like these comments but they will just put it off as them making friendly jokes. I care a lot about these girls and I've always been there for them, listened to their problems (mostly boy related) even when I've been dealing with my share of issues (losing a parent). It just feels as though they look at me differently and I wish it was not like this. I've lost a lot of friends the last year because I've moved to a different country, lost my mother (which unfortunately meant I lost contact with some people). I just really don't want to lose these friendships.

Just looking to see if other people have experienced friendships change because they changed and how they've been dealing with it.

I can agree with this completely. I myself lost 6 stone and with it lost friends too. I had been friends with a girl for 13 years but her jealousy of my new lifestyle and the fact I looked so much better stopped her from being my friend. You should not let these girls make any nasty comments about you as they are most likely jealous and intimidated by the fact men are now much more interested in you. There is nothing people hate more than when people are taking the attention that the think they deserve. Congratulations on your fantastic weightloss

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congratulations! That's an amazingly impressive transformation.

I've lost a lot of weight too and found that some friendships changed as I did. I think one of my friends liked the fact I was the 'fat friend', making her look better, and now I've lost weight seems more distant. Maybe it's unrelated but nothing else changed in that time.

It sounds like some of your friends are jealous, stay friends with those who like you for you and be proud of what you've achieved!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya

Just looking to see if other people have maybe have advice or experienced similar things.

So I've lost a lot of weight (13 stones) - I still need to lose more but taking it easy right now to get my mind up to it as it's a big change.

I had one relationship before, which ended six months ago and since then been seeing different guys but nothing serious. Anyways, I do find it confusing since I am now in my twenties and not dated before because of my weight (extreme obesity as a child, started losing weight when I moved out from home). That guys all of a sudden showing interest is confusing enough for me. However, what I find hardest is that I sometimes feel like my friendships have changed the past six months after becoming single. When I go out with my friends the guys are now approaching me more than them, which has never happened before and my friends are starting to say a lot of harsh comments which they have never done before. e.g. a friend told me guys would *** quickly with me because they find me unnattractive. Another friend told me guys would approach me because I was a fat, short, brunnette, which makes me seem friendlier than a pretty and tall blond. Another friend told me I would never have any guys approach me in a club with beautiful women. and it just goes on.

I've told them that I do not like these comments but they will just put it off as them making friendly jokes. I care a lot about these girls and I've always been there for them, listened to their problems (mostly boy related) even when I've been dealing with my share of issues (losing a parent). It just feels as though they look at me differently and I wish it was not like this. I've lost a lot of friends the last year because I've moved to a different country, lost my mother (which unfortunately meant I lost contact with some people). I just really don't want to lose these friendships.

Just looking to see if other people have experienced friendships change because they changed and how they've been dealing with it.
    Definitely doesn't sound like true real friends to me, more like bitter, jealous friends who will be nice to you when they perceive themselves to be better than you but get nasty when you improve yourself.
    Distance yourself from negative people, you don't need them in your life, they add nothing to your life but misery.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.