Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP: Please tell me about what happens during a day in Sixth Form... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've got into a Sixth Form that is 5 minutes away from my house, which is good. However, I don't know anyone there, apart from a couple of people who went to my primary school (I'm sure they've changed a lot).

In the Sixth Form Common Room or whatever you call it, what happens in there?
    It's going to be so awkward on the first day...

Other questions:
    - How long does a lesson last? (Could be deemed a stupid question)
    - How long are free periods?
    - How many free periods do we get?
    - What time does school finish? (Seen Year 12s and 13s walking out whenever)
    - Lunchtime - free to go wherever until it's time to return?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I got banned and so on Results Day I couldn't post my grades; I attained 2As, 5Bs and 3Cs - I'm quite happy with them! I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Business and IT.

By the way, there is no induction day.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form college is literally 2 mins away from my house.
    Anyway my timetable is:
    9:30am-12pm lesson one
    12pm-1:15pm lunch
    1:15pm-3:45pm lesson two

Even though the lessons are long we get a 15 mins break half way through. In my sixth form college we don't have a common room. We get 2-4 free periods a week. We also have tutorial once a week.

You'll be fine, it didn't take me long at all to settle in and get used to the new routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    I've got into a Sixth Form that is 5 minutes away from my house, which is good. However, I don't know anyone there, apart from a couple of people who went to my primary school (I'm sure they've changed a lot).

In the Sixth Form Common Room or whatever you call it, what happens in there?
    It's going to be so awkward on the first day...

Other questions:

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I got banned and so on Results Day I couldn't post my grades; I attained 2As, 5Bs and 3Cs - I'm quite happy with them! I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Business and IT.

By the way, there is no induction day.
    How long does a lesson last?
    - This depends on your school really but on average its no different to GCSE, so an hour. If its a double then 2 and so on. I've had triples, some others have had quadruples so yh, lengths of lesson can change.

How long are free periods?
    - The free periods would be the same length as a normal lesson would.

How many free periods do we get?
    - Your going to have to check your time table for that. If I am going to take a punt, anywhere between 3-8.

What time does school finish?
    - School finishes on your regular school time. The reasons why sixth formers leave earlier is because they may have a free period last and so they're allowed to go home for that free. For me it was quite unfortunate as I had a math lesson every Wednesday between 3-4. Don't believe that every sixth former leaves at the normal school time. Many put extra hours in to finish work, deadlines and ask questions so it is not as nice as you think. (Na it is nice actually)

Lunchtime?
    - Generally you would be allowed to leave the school premises for lunch to go to the shop but you will have to come back if you have a lesson last period.

ReputationRep:
    - What happens in the common room?
    You do any work you have to do or just relax/chat with friends or play cards if you're allowed

50-60 minutes

50-60 minutes

Depends on how many subject you chose, but you will usually get 1-2 a day

3pm

Depends on the school, in ours they only allowed you to go out in the second half of A-Levels, but in better behaved schools they let you out straight away

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.