Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I am just going to write out the story.

My first year of A-levels was a disaster. I dropped to three, because Sociology wasn't available, and I was really struggling in general. I did Film, History and English. Come AS results day I came out with an E in History (C in one unit, U in the other), C in English Lit (A in coursework, D in exam) and an A in Film. I could have done a lot better in History, but at the same time I was getting an A throughout the year until the head of subject took over and told us we were getting Ds right before the exam. Our previous teacher was teaching History AS for the first time, and had marked us all much too highly. I did my best given the circumstances, but dropping to three I brought upon myself I know.

After this I decided to resit the English Lit AS exam (I was getting As throughout the year, and the exam was nationally problematic, with many resitting it.) I dropped History for AS Sociology , and carried on Film as usual. I decided I would complete the second half of Sociology in an extra year, alongside an additional AS.

Now we are into Summer 2016, and I have two A-Levels! I have an A* in Film Studies, and an A in English Literature. I gained an A in my Sociology AS, and with hard work again this year I hope to get the same grade again, as well as a good grade in AS Philosophy.

I have just started my UCAS application, and have picked two universities so far. I am looking at Sussex and Lancaster. I already meet their entry requirements, and my A* in Film even surpasses them. The thing is, I am extremely worried that my mixed AS results will put them off. I feel that I have shown my ability to get back up, and my determination to reach the goals I want by coming out with the grades I have so far. Nevertheless, so many have done that within the two years, and I feel as if I will just get rejected.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by HannahBanana2)

My first year of A-levels was a disaster. I dropped to three, because Sociology wasn't available, and I was really struggling in general. I did Film, History and English. Come AS results day I came out with an E in History (C in one unit, U in the other), C in English Lit (A in coursework, D in exam) and an A in Film. I could have done a lot better in History, but at the same time I was getting an A throughout the year until the head of subject took over and told us we were getting Ds right before the exam. Our previous teacher was teaching History AS for the first time, and had marked us all much too highly. I did my best given the circumstances, but dropping to three I brought upon myself I know.

After this I decided to resit the English Lit AS exam (I was getting As throughout the year, and the exam was nationally problematic, with many resitting it.) I dropped History for AS Sociology , and carried on Film as usual. I decided I would complete the second half of Sociology in an extra year, alongside an additional AS.

Now we are into Summer 2016, and I have two A-Levels! I have an A* in Film Studies, and an A in English Literature. I gained an A in my Sociology AS, and with hard work again this year I hope to get the same grade again, as well as a good grade in AS Philosophy.

I have just started my UCAS application, and have picked two universities so far. I am looking at Sussex and Lancaster. I already meet their entry requirements, and my A* in Film even surpasses them. The thing is, I am extremely worried that my mixed AS results will put them off. I feel that I have shown my ability to get back up, and my determination to reach the goals I want by coming out with the grades I have so far. Nevertheless, so many have done that within the two years, and I feel as if I will just get rejected.
    Speak to your referee - if they're willing to explain that teaching disruption meant that your History AS teaching wasn't giving you the information you needed to judge your performance and so you switched subjects after Yr12 then it's very unlikely that any university would hold an extra year of A level study against you (and in reality many universities aren't worried about extra years of A level study if it is because of a change in subjects).

I'd suggest you contact your choices directly and make sure that they're happy to accept applications from people who took 3 years for their A levels after changing subjects. They're more likely to reassure you than I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahBanana2)

Heya! I re sat year 12, have 7 AS results an A" this year and the rest will be next year. Most unis really don't care about it. As long as you get there eventually with their grades they don't mind when i was at Lancaster and Sussex for Computer science they said they didn't care if they were over 3 years, as long as i get their entry requirements if your worried, send them an email and explane what happens and ask if its okay you wont be the first to ask and they are there to help Good Luck with your choices

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.