Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    need advice as to which university I could apply for an undergraduate medicine course, that does not require chemistry at A level. I will be doing biology however, and sociology and psychology if they count as sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine there are many to be honest. Try looking on which university and websites like that.
    Are you sure you want to study Medicine, I imagine it's very dependent on Chemistry and not Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicepalacexx)
    need advice as to which university I could apply for an undergraduate medicine course, that does not require chemistry at A level. I will be doing biology however, and sociology and psychology if they count as sciences.
    I don't think there is any... I'm pretty sure some allow it to at least AS Level, but that's it.

Why aren't you taking chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    None, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Here are the entry requirements for medical schools:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

This was last posted in 2015 (and not all of them have been updated since 2013) so it may have changed, it's important that you contact the schools that you want to apply to directly to find out for sure. From the list East Anglia doesn't require Chemistry but confirm this with them for 2017/2018 entry. If that's the case it may in fact be even more competitive to get in because lots of people who don't have Chemistry will be applying.

You might want to try for a foundation year that will lead to Medicine if you don't want to do Chemistry at A level (why don't you want to? You'll definitely need it for medicine). A bunch of universities offer this, I know that Keele definitely offers a foundation year that can lead to Medicine for a few students that do well on the course, Liverpool offers one too.

Make sure that the foundation year you do does in fact give you the opportunity to apply to medicine though. You'll still need to take an interview and be assessed as normal after completing it.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! My heart was set on chemistry for a level however my maths gcse grade which was a C did not meet the chem requirements for a level, they wanted a B in maths from me they still let me do biology however, i just think doing a foundation year will be my best bet. Do you know if my maths gcse grade will limit my options open for a foundation year at a reasonably good university? I have a careers adviser at school that i could talk to, i just feel like a C in maths at GCSE will still prevent me from applying for a foundation year of medicine

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! My heart was set on chemistry for a level however my maths gcse grade which was a C did not meet the chem requirements for a level, they wanted a B in maths from me they still let me do biology however, i just think doing a foundation year will be my best bet. Do you know if my maths gcse grade will limit my options open for a foundation year at a reasonably good university? I have a careers adviser at school that i could talk to, i just feel like a C in maths at GCSE will still prevent me from applying for a foundation year of medicine
    Medicine is still Medicine regardless of the university you're at, so you shouldn't worry about that too much. You'll be doing placements and getting experience as part of your course.

Universities typically concentrate a lot more on what you got for your A levels but yeah, they still take what you got for your GCSEs into account (this is an example of what they usually look for with GCSEs with direct entry to undergraduate Medicine - note that this is a little outdated now so call up the universities and ask them yourself http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements ).

Note that the link above is for undergraduate Medicine, not for a foundation year which will usually have lower entry requirements, so check university sites that have foundation years for Medicine and you could even go down for an open day and ask the lecturers questions. Have you done or are you planning any work experience for Medicine?

Remember that even if you do a foundation year there's no guarantee of getting onto the first year of undergraduate Medicine as you need to get good grades and pass the interview stage as normal afterwards, they might give you another course though to go onto. Just speak to them and find out first at an open day or something like that

If you do well in your A levels you'll be just fine in getting onto it, just aim as high as you can and keep doing different past papers, that'll help you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle/Durham/East Anglia

ReputationRep:
    no there are none, and you should be doing at least two facilitating subjects

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.