Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving in together first time renters. Watch

Hi all me and my boyfriend have been together for 8 months and we are looking at moving in together, we both live in the South West of England however where he lives is cheaper than where i do to rent.

£650 PCM

He works and i do however i will be required to leave my job which i don't mind as i have been there 4 years (Looking for something new)

I have 5k + in savings.and he has a few thousand to, however is credit rating is not great so he asked me to put the flat in my name only.

Is this is a wise move to make? As i don't know anything tbh about renting so i'm new to all of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is this is a wise move to make?
    No, because...

As i don't know anything tbh about renting so i'm new to all of this.
    Do not, under any circumstances, sign a contract or a tenancy agreement or whatever else if you have no idea what you are getting into.

Once your signature goes on that paper you are obligated by law to adhere to whatever it is you just agreed on, and if you've misread something or missed it entirely then the responsibility falls on you. Also if you are the sole person assigned to the agreement then your boyfriend has no obligation to make payments, meaning he could just walk out one day and leave you with massive debt.

Seek help from the adults in your life, or even go to a professional.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Make yourself joint tenants as then you share the liability. Even with a default on his credit rating he could still rent from many landlords so that's no excuse really.

If we share the liability can we have one bank account to pay, the rent and bills etc?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If we share the liability can we have one bank account to pay, the rent and bills etc?
    Yes if you wanted to

ReputationRep:
    I would make sure there is joint tenancy or some other legal arrangement that he will share the rent unless you want to be completely in charge. This would of course give you the flexibility to hoof him out if things don't work out. However if he's working and you're not it doesn't really add up.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree with above posters, you can have a joint tenancy, the flat doesn't have to be rente under one persons name. All students renting houses can do this, therefore so can you guys. But do not get the lease under your name only!!!

I'll be working once we move in obviously.

I'll speak with him about going joint tenancy.

He is insisting on i sign for it myself.

What do i do?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.