The Student Room Group

My grades good enough

so my question is I want to go into medicine; however got my results back yesterday and I didn't receive any A* but here are my grades
and I want to go to oxford is it worth applying
English Language A
English Lit A
Maths A
Core science A
Additional science A
Further additional A
Business A
History B
Media A
Food technology A

So if I wanted to apply to somewhere like oxford could I still be chosen or is it a stupid idea to even think about applying
Original post by futureoncologist
so my question is I want to go into medicine; however got my results back yesterday and I didn't receive any A* but here are my gradesand I want to go to oxford is it worth applyingEnglish Language AEnglish Lit AMaths ACore science AAdditional science AFurther additional ABusiness AHistory BMedia AFood technology A So if I wanted to apply to somewhere like oxford could I still be chosen or is it a stupid idea to even think about applying

wow All A's
i guess its your favourite alphabet :lol:
yep they are great but dont forget to do well in your A levels
if you are planning to apply in Oxbridge uni then they'll expect you to get A*'s and A's in A levels as well sooo be ready :yy:
To be honest, it isn't worth applying. You only did 9 GCSES which is below what most people do. I mean you could get into a Russel group university, but Oxford probably not. Sorry about that.
From the stats I can find, for all subjects combined, about 5% of applicants with zero A* grades at GCSE get an offer. That's about half the acceptance rate for all applicants to medicine (which had an offer rate of 11% in 2015). But I can't find a specific figure for offers to zero A* applicants for medicine, if that makes sense.
Reply 4
Original post by OxFossil
From the stats I can find, for all subjects combined, about 5% of applicants with zero A* grades at GCSE get an offer. That's about half the acceptance rate for all applicants to medicine (which had an offer rate of 11% in 2015). But I can't find a specific figure for offers to zero A* applicants for medicine, if that makes sense.

number-a-gcse-2016-smaller.jpe
Attachment not found

This is data for the 2015 cohort applying to medicine at Oxford.

This is what is says on their website:

'The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.7; this rose to 10.6 for those short-listed and 10.4 for those applicants made offers.

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.80; this rose to 0.94 for those short-listed and 0.94 for those applicants made offers.

The mean number of total GCSE qualifications (not including short courses and other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.8.'

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Thanks, Jpw1097. It looks like they didn't interview anyone with fewer than 6 A*s!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending