Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya

About a year ago (aged 18) I was hospitalised due to use of non-prescription drugs. There was no police or law involvement. It was during a difficult time in my life but was not an intentional overdose or anything. Since this happened I have been abstinent from any substances and saw a psychiatrist. It really isn't an issue anymore; I am much happier and better at coping with stress.

I'm intending on applying to study medicine next year, does anyone know if the med school(s) in question will be able to find out about this? And if so, has this mistake cost me the opportunity of ever studying medicine?

Would really appreciate some insight, thanks in advance!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya

About a year ago (aged 18) I was hospitalised due to use of non-prescription drugs. There was no police or law involvement. It was during a difficult time in my life but was not an intentional overdose or anything. Since this happened I have been abstinent from any substances and saw a psychiatrist. It really isn't an issue anymore; I am much happier and better at coping with stress.

I'm intending on applying to study medicine next year, does anyone know if the med school(s) in question will be able to find out about this? And if so, has this mistake cost me the opportunity of ever studying medicine?

No - I was in a similar situation at Medical School where I was hospitalised for something similar but it turned out to be fine. The reason why it was OK was because I seeked help for it and am getting myself back on track without there being much issue with my fitness to continue, so it was fine.

It sounds like you've done well and seeked help for it. You should be sure to seek help for it should the same happen, however - and good on you for getting through it.

ReputationRep:
    I would think that they'd find out and want to know about it. Because it relates to your fitness to practise but should you explain and show that you've had the help etc. Then it all should be fine. Don't hide it from any form though, because that's when they won't be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    No - I was in a similar situation at Medical School where I was hospitalised for something similar but it turned out to be fine. The reason why it was OK was because I seeked help for it and am getting myself back on track without there being much issue with my fitness to continue, so it was fine.

It sounds like you've done well and seeked help for it. You should be sure to seek help for it should the same happen, however - and good on you for getting through it.
    Were they aware of everything in your case? Hey it's great that you're getting things back on track, keep it up! If it was anything like what I was going through it can't have been easy, but as long as everything turns out fine what does it matter right?

Thank you very much, I've been really lucky. The only thing I'm unclear about is whether you think it's a topic that's likely to come up and at what stage it would do so. You said no at the beginning of your response but it seems like the medical school knew about it when it happened to you. Obviously if it comes up I'll be honest about what happened, just something I'd rather avoid if I could as it's not my favourite event to reminisce about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 97Y)
    I would think that they'd find out and want to know about it. Because it relates to your fitness to practise but should you explain and show that you've had the help etc. Then it all should be fine. Don't hide it from any form though, because that's when they won't be happy
    No I definitely don't intend on adding fraud to the list of things that might stop me getting accepted. At what stage do you think I'd have to disclose information about it though? I always hear that being involved with substance is a death sentence for anyone's application to medical school, but is this an exaggeration or only more relevant if it's recent? Thanks for the response.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Slynki)
    No I definitely don't intend on adding fraud to the list of things that might stop me getting accepted. At what stage do you think I'd have to disclose information about it though? I always hear that being involved with substance is a death sentence for anyone's application to medical school, but is this an exaggeration or only more relevant if it's recent? Thanks for the response.
    You would disclose it during occupational health screening that happens after you have gotten a place. OH forms normally ask if you have depression or any history of mental illness and can ask for details there. Or they'll offer you a follow up appointment after they've received your paperwork just to check you're doing ok and don't need any extra support.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya

Sorry, just re-read this. You don't have to disclose a non intentional overdose particularly but disclosing that you've seen a psychiatrist in the past won't hurt. It would probably mean that they just sign post you to the services available to you when you start uni.

But it certainly shouldn't be a problem in terms of applying and gaining a place for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    This by itself is a non-issue and will not have any impact on your career.*If you are asked a direct question about this then you must err on the side of disclosure. An OD when you were 18 is a non-issue but they will make a lot of fuss if you were to provide dishonest/misleading answers to questions when asked. I don't think this is ever really likely to come up, though.

I personally would not (voluntarily) declare having seen a psychiatrist in the past simply because that will invite them to ask questions about the circumstances. This might be different if there was an ongoing problem, e.g. addiction.

ReputationRep:
    As above, no issues preventing you from going to uni to study medicine.

You have to fill out a health questionnaire but only AFTER you accept an offer to study medicine.

You will be asked about any previous drug usage. Any previous OD. Any previous psychiatric help.

To be clear, declaring this will not make the Uni take your place away. But they do need to know about this. If you require any help, they can make sure it's available for you. If it's all behind you and in the past, then they can make sure they can help if you ever find yourself in that situation again.

But most importantly, when asked, you should declare it. The OD and the Psychiatric help don't matter. Lying does matter and will cost you opportunities. So it's not a case of 'will the med school be able to find out?'. They should find out from you.

Again, this health questionnaire is AFTER you get an offer so they won't know anything before that and it won't influence them offering you a place.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    As above, no issues preventing you from going to uni to study medicine.

You have to fill out a health questionnaire but only AFTER you accept an offer to study medicine.

You will be asked about any previous drug usage. Any previous OD. Any previous psychiatric help.

To be clear, declaring this will not make the Uni take your place away. But they do need to know about this. If you require any help, they can make sure it's available for you. If it's all behind you and in the past, then they can make sure they can help if you ever find yourself in that situation again.

But most importantly, when asked, you should declare it. The OD and the Psychiatric help don't matter. Lying does matter and will cost you opportunities. So it's not a case of 'will the med school be able to find out?'. They should find out from you.

Again, this health questionnaire is AFTER you get an offer so they won't know anything before that and it won't influence them offering you a place.

Hope this helps
    That is a very comprehensive response, thank you for spelling it out for and reassuring me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.