Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking my car to university with a Black Box watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm with More Than Smart Wheels and am insured on a Renault Clio and I live in West London. I took this policy out on 30th December 2015 and would be moving out on the 18th Sept.

But I rang them up and they asked for an additional £300 to change the overnight address to Birmingham.

Is this even justifiable seeing as I only have a few months remaining (and not many miles left on the policy)

For the record, if you're thinking about insurance, STAY CLEAR OF MORE THAN SMART WHEELS! Money grabbing *****

ReputationRep:
    And has anyone had any experiences where they've taken a car that has a black box to a new location for a long period of time? Did you get any letters or that kind of thing?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whilst I do not have an answer to your question, they were well within their rights to charge you extra, as the risk is significantly higher in Birmingham due to the increased crime rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Whilst I do not have an answer to your question, they were well within their rights to charge you extra, as the risk is significantly higher in Birmingham due to the increased crime rates.
    Even though the car will be in a secure car park with fob entry? Thats what I don't understand!

And ffs it's a Clio. Please feel free to vandalise it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CALI1198)
    Even though the car will be in a secure car park with fob entry? Thats what I don't understand!

And ffs it's a Clio. Please feel free to vandalise it
    It's damage limitation for the underwriters. Just be lucky you are paying much less than some people.

ReputationRep:
    An insurance company will charge for any changes.
    Doesn't matter if you move from high to low, if they change the policy they claim the money for admin.

ReputationRep:
    That insurance company came up when insuring my new car. Their quote was far, far lower than any other quotes below it - and the phrase "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" could not be any more accurate here. Just go and have a read of their reviews. Absolute shite companies, their blackbox doesn't read miles correctly, inaccurate speeds etc. etc. And £300 to change address -lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I went with them due to the low price (£1800)

However I have gotten somewhere with this. I started a complaint which was taken seriously. The guy looked at where my car was parked overnight and said that 99% of the time it was at my home address.

He then waved the cost and said at renewal you would have to change address.

Bottom line: as long as the car is at your home address longer than it is at your temporary/uni address.

My policy started in December so it's deffo been at home more than half the time.

But yeah their boxes are crap! Still cannot wait till my premium expires. Tesco black box is miles better than anyone

ReputationRep:
    Though if no box is affordable, do that!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.