Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing a personal statement for two slightly different courses. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

4 of my university choices on UCAS are for BSc Biochemistry and the other choice is for Cellular & Molecular Medicine (CMM) at The University of Bristol.

I've written a draft personal statement but that was before I knew I wanted to study CMM, so it's primarily a Biochem PS.

Should I stick with my Biochem PS or should I edit it to appeal to a CMM admissions tutor too? And do you have any advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help & time!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i don't think you need to worry. The difference between Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is subtle and very overlapped. Especially regarding undergraduate courses at University, you might as well consider it just different names for the same course subject, as undoubtedly they will thoroughly cover the foundations of each other in the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTungsten74)
    Personally, i don't think you need to worry. The difference between Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is subtle and very overlapped. Especially regarding undergraduate courses at University, you might as well consider it just different names for the same course subject, as undoubtedly they will thoroughly cover the foundations of each other in the course.
    Thank you for your response! Your right, I've looked the the modules for Biochem & CMM and they are very similar. I'm just concerned that a CMM tutor will look at my PS and conclude that it's too Biochem based & I lack interest in CMM (which is obviously not the case!)

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. You are inevitably delving into Biochemistry any time you study Molecular or Cellular Biology, so your passion for Biochemistry should surely be critical.I don't blame you for choosing Cellular and Molecular Medicine instead of their Biochemistry Bsc. The course description for the Biochemistry Bsc lacks so much detail about what you will cover and the Cellular and Molecular Medicine course seems like it covers more aspects of Biomedical Science and gives you more options of where you want to take your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTungsten74)
    I doubt it. You are inevitably delving into Biochemistry any time you study Molecular or Cellular Biology, so your passion for Biochemistry should surely be critical.I don't blame you for choosing Cellular and Molecular Medicine instead of their Biochemistry Bsc. The course description for the Biochemistry Bsc lacks so much detail about what you will cover and the Cellular and Molecular Medicine course seems like it covers more aspects of Biomedical Science and gives you more options of where you want to take your degree.
    I absolutely agree with you! What caught my eye about CMM was the volume of third year options that are available. I'm personally interested in cancer, although I still want to stay general which is why I'm refraining from applying for caver biology. I can also apply for cancer biology in second year if I wanted! The module list for CMM is extraordinary in comparison to Biochem!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.