Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, for the first 2 years of my degree, I received the maximum loan and grant as I am from a low income household.

My mother met a guy last year, living together, getting married etc. His income brings our household income up. My loan and grant this year is lower by £1000.My mother will not support me as she has no money (low income family remember). Her partner obviously will not support me because he has no relationship with me, has not brought me up, barely knows me etc. So he is not willing to make up the difference.

So I am being penalised because of my mother choice of partner and SFEs assessment criteria.

Furthermore, I may also not now be eligible for the bursary from my University, totaling 1400. I'm unsure how much it will fall or if I get any. So I have lost £1000 guaranteed, potentially rising to £2400.

What are my options?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it's a shame that student finance doesn't take things like this into consideration.

1) You could get a job while studying, though it's unlikely you'll be able to make up a large amount of money but it might help you a bit if you can manage it along with your degree.

2) I've seen some private student loan companies around, though I don't know how reliable/ trustworthy they are (I've seen some good reviews so you might want to do some research - considering your situation you may have no choice even if the interest is higher or something)

3) So I know someone who did this and it might work for you too. Basically, my friend had a situation where she wouldn't be getting much money and her mum couldn't support her either. Her parents were divorced but she stayed with her dad regularly so got his income assessed instead so she got a bigger loan. She had all her post go to his address and changed her bank address etc. I guess for her it didn't really matter who she said she was living with because she spent equal time at both addresses so she could choose, however maybe you could do something like this with one of your family members? Obviously it wouldn't be great if they live far away (to get post and things) but maybe it could work.

I hope everything works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    A part time job will easily cover the £2400 shortfall and for minimal hours. All is not lost. It will prepare you for your first graduate role.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Interest free overdraft? Some of the drop in loan would be if you're in your final year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by English-Student)
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it's a shame that student finance doesn't take things like this into consideration.

1) You could get a job while studying, though it's unlikely you'll be able to make up a large amount of money but it might help you a bit if you can manage it along with your degree.

2) I've seen some private student loan companies around, though I don't know how reliable/ trustworthy they are (I've seen some good reviews so you might want to do some research - considering your situation you may have no choice even if the interest is higher or something)

3) So I know someone who did this and it might work for you too. Basically, my friend had a situation where she wouldn't be getting much money and her mum couldn't support her either. Her parents were divorced but she stayed with her dad regularly so got his income assessed instead so she got a bigger loan. She had all her post go to his address and changed her bank address etc. I guess for her it didn't really matter who she said she was living with because she spent equal time at both addresses so she could choose, however maybe you could do something like this with one of your family members? Obviously it wouldn't be great if they live far away (to get post and things) but maybe it could work.

I hope everything works out for you!
    2) Private loan companies require you to make repayments whilst studying so not great

3) Student finance only assess parents income so the only alternative family member student finance would accept would be her Dads.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.