Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so not sure where to start but I'm really scared about my mums health-
    she's morbidly obese, and has weight related problems including diabetes, high blood pressure and more.

But she doesn't take her medication and she doesn't exercise or eat right, and she doesn't go to the GP when she's ill. She has loads of abscesses all over her body. I honestly don't know what to do- it's as if she doesn't care. She has uncontrolled diabetes.

I've tried to tell her to cut down on what she eats, i've told her to take her medication everyday, i've told her to lose weight, i've told her to just try some diets that I have been on/ i've told her how to lose weight- (I'm a normal weight/ but I would like to be thinner and I've managed to drop 1 stone just by cutting out certain foods and not eating late).

like she's scared of going to the gp incase there is anything wrong but she is not helping herself by not making an effort to even take her medication.
    she's started to forget things a lot, shes tired and i know she's got depression- but i don't want her to die, and its making me sad to think about it because she can live for so many more years- if she just starts looking after herself- taking her medication, doing some exercise, cutting down on food!

What should I do???
    tl;dr- my mum has uncontrolled diabetes, is obese, and isn't taking her medication or looking after her health and i'm scared

ReputationRep:
    Have any of your other family members eg your dad tried to talk to her about her health? Gently remind her on a daily basis to take her medication and really emphasise that it's not to nag her but because you care about her and don't want to lose her. It's really tricky to try and help someone health wise when they don't necessarily want to change their lifestyle themselves but the most you can do is encourage her or get her in touch with someone- she's got to one to change her lifestyle as well to a large extent. I'd strongly advice that you do get in touch with some professional for extra advice on this though.
    Diabetes UK have a help line email ([email protected]) and a phone number you can call (0345 123 2399) for support and advice regarding your mum and how best you can help her.
    It may also be useful to try and understand why she's scared of the GP- talk to her when she's in a good mood to get some idea. Was it from a bad experience with a particular doctor? Does she think her health is fine?
    You can also offer to make meals now and then and make healthy recipes which are also delicious! That way she'll see that changing her diet and having less of the junk food etc isn't necessarily bad, there are also delicious alternatives to unhealthy foods.

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Have any of your other family members eg your dad tried to talk to her about her health? Gently remind her on a daily basis to take her medication and really emphasise that it's not to nag her but because you care about her and don't want to lose her. It's really tricky to try and help someone health wise when they don't necessarily want to change their lifestyle themselves but the most you can do is encourage her or get her in touch with someone- she's got to one to change her lifestyle as well to a large extent. I'd strongly advice that you do get in touch with some professional for extra advice on this though.
    Diabetes UK have a help line email ([email protected]) and a phone number you can call (0345 123 2399) for support and advice regarding your mum and how best you can help her.
    It may also be useful to try and understand why she's scared of the GP- talk to her when she's in a good mood to get some idea. Was it from a bad experience with a particular doctor? Does she think her health is fine?
    You can also offer to make meals now and then and make healthy recipes which are also delicious! That way she'll see that changing her diet and having less of the junk food etc isn't necessarily bad, there are also delicious alternatives to unhealthy foods.
    This is really good advice thank you! I'll try making meals, and I will email the helpline too! I might try and get her more help/ maybe counselling or soemthings!?!?
    My dad doesn't seem to care- it's really weird. Like, he gives her ice cream and sugary foods etc. But he himself is fairly health conscious. He has quite a lot of self control and regularly exercises. I think he might just not want to bother- I think he doesn't have much hope tbh.

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Following this, I just found a local diabetes UK support group near our house that meets in the evenings!! And I just told her about it- really nicely and she might go!! I'm so happy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.