Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im 15 and have no idea what career path i want to follow!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im 15 and going into year 11 when I have all my GCSE exams. I feel like I now need to know the career path I want to take. As, soon I take the exams then I've got to choose bout 3 subjects to study for A levels (which would lead onto my future job) then my uni course.

To be honest I don't really know what I want to do when I leave education. I love football but wouldn't want to be in the spotlight (such as a ref).
    So I thought maybe I could be a physiotherapist for a football club ( partly because I don't really know any other jobs for women in football and partly because I think I might enjoy it). However I know that to go uni its a lot of time, hard work and money so I wouldn't want to go uni and waste a degree. Plus I would have to get some experienced probably in the NHS and I don't see my self working in a hospital.

I also quite like marine life like fish, dolphins and the unknown parts of the sea. Although the only job I know for that sort of stuff is a marine biologist or a diver. I don't really like swimming that much any more either.

I also thought about working at customs cause it would be a fun, exciting job but im not sure if I have the confidence for a job like that. Also its not that great pay.

opinions ???
    Any suggested jobs ???

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend trying to pick a specific career at the moment, you've still got lots of time to think this over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomon)
    Im 15 and going into year 11 when I have all my GCSE exams. I feel like I now need to know the career path I want to take. As, soon I take the exams then I've got to choose bout 3 subjects to study for A levels (which would lead onto my future job) then my uni course.

To be honest I don't really know what I want to do when I leave education. I love football but wouldn't want to be in the spotlight (such as a ref).
    So I thought maybe I could be a physiotherapist for a football club ( partly because I don't really know any other jobs for women in football and partly because I think I might enjoy it). However I know that to go uni its a lot of time, hard work and money so I wouldn't want to go uni and waste a degree. Plus I would have to get some experienced probably in the NHS and I don't see my self working in a hospital.

I also quite like marine life like fish, dolphins and the unknown parts of the sea. Although the only job I know for that sort of stuff is a marine biologist or a diver. I don't really like swimming that much any more either.

I also thought about working at customs cause it would be a fun, exciting job but im not sure if I have the confidence for a job like that. Also its not that great pay.

opinions ???
    Any suggested jobs ???
    My opinion? Build your confidence. Don't end up like me. Oh and yeah, I have a refereeing qualification but never took it further for similar reasons you don't want to do it for - confidence, insecurity, fear of f*cking up decisions, being the main man etc. So I understand.

ReputationRep:
    You've got plenty of time mate. Just focus on getting them grades first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need to know yet

ReputationRep:
    I hate how we're pressured so much to know what we want to do so early on. I thought I had plenty of time and all of a sudden it was GCSE options and my parents were constantly asking me and pressuring me to decide. I was in your position too, but soon I found what I wanted to do more than anything- it will come to you. I suggest doing some work experience and maybe researching professions you have a particular interest in. There's a YouTube channel called ConnectEd and it has a series called Day in the Life, have a look at that. Also, think about your favourite subjects, in and out of school. What are you most interested in? First and foremost though, please don't worry too much about this, because I know it doesn't feel like it, we're still young (I'm only a year older than you) and even though everyone tells us we should be rushing, it's better to take your time and be completely sure of something than to rush and pick something that you'll end up hating later in life. That said, it's never too late to change your mind!

ReputationRep:
    My advice? Get the best grades you can and pick A Levels that keep your options open! Just keep thinking about careers, you'll find something that fits you eventually

Edit: I've been into design and buildings since I was a little kid. Only recently did I ever consider architecture as a career choice. Ideas will come at the most random of times. Does your school subscribe to the Jed Jobs Database? Ask your form tutor about it (or if they have something similar.) There's like a personality test and questions about subjects you like at school. You get a list of jobs it thinks you might be interested in, but you can still look at the full database.

It also looks like you have some idea of what it is you want to do. Make sure you get a meeting with your careers adviser at school when you start year 11! In out generation, meetings like that are like diamonds... They've cut funding for it harshly in many schools, so take the option if you're given it. Best thing I ever did.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into year 11 in September also (but luckily I'm pretty sure what I want to do). In year 11 most schools do career conventions with senior leadership/career counsellors (or whoever does that job in your school) who will go through varies career with you and help you decide A levels.
    Presumably you've already closed your GCSE courses (?) so stick with the ones you enjoy most for A levels. You can always change them when you enrol to your 6th form/college if you haven't done well in that subject for GCSE.
    Do some research for other jobs that are associated with the GCSEs you've taken and then look into work experience for them to get a better idea!
    If you want any help PM me

ReputationRep:
    Join the royal navy

ReputationRep:
    You can always PM me if you need advice! I was in your situation this time last year, so believe me: I know how you feel

ReputationRep:
    No one does at that age mate. Give it time.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Totally fine not knowing. My only advice, when going into college- if you're interested in a sciencey field- perhaps choose Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    You have plenty of time most people decide when they're like 18 Some before that age and even some after that age. There's no rush 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, DON'T join the royal navy -_-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.