Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  319.6 KB

I need to design a modulo 6* d type asynchronous down counter in which gated outputs reset the bistables after the appropiate count is achieved.

The drawing shows a three stage counter which i can modify.

A modulo 6* needs to count down 5,4,3,2,1,0 then resets back to 5,4,3,2,1, 0 etc

I can get it to start at 5 and count down to zero but it always resets back to 7.

Please help as its doing my head in

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechynick)

I need to design a modulo 6* d type asynchronous down counter in which gated outputs reset the bistables after the appropiate count is achieved.
    This is electronics rather than maths. It would probably be better moved to the physics forum.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry new to the forum
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry new to the forum
    Thanks
    You probably want to send a message to Zacken or someone to have it moved.

I'm afraid that it's been so long since I've done any digital electronics that I'd have to crack open the textbooks to be able to analyse the circuit. I think that uberteknik on the physics forums is more up-to-date with this kind of stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    Ive posted it on there now but no joy so far
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Ive posted it on there now but no joy so far
    Can't say I'm familiar with this, but in case this is of some value.

After the counter reaches 0, you want the next state to be 5, i.e. 101 binary.
    So, the input to the second d-type flip flop needs to be forced to 0, but only when the Q outputs are 0,0,0.

So, interrupt the feedback on the second stage, and AND it, with the three Q outputs OR'ed together.

So, when counter reaches zero, their OR'd sum will be zero, AND returns zero, and the input at D will be zero.

When counter is non-zero, OR'd sum is non-zero, and the AND gate will pass through the value from the QN output.

I imaginve this would be similar to "starting at 5" which you've already sorted.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.