Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just one of those people who is easily (offended I'd guess the word is), I dunno why.

One of the smallest things that someone says to me can make me really hurt and low for the rest of the day- like really sad and upset.

I just want to know how people stop other people's comments getting to them to the extent that they get me. Any tips?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I just feel different towards things at times. Sometimes I could be thinking about something small, such as the way someone looked at me and I'll try to read between the lines for weeks and feel awful. But sometimes I don't even care about the bigger things. I don't really stop it, it just comes and goes.

ReputationRep:
    Live as a stranger

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Think People)
    Live as a stranger

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you mean?

(Original post by L33t)
    I'm just one of those people who is easily (offended I'd guess the word is), I dunno why.

One of the smallest things that someone says to me can make me really hurt and low for the rest of the day- like really sad and upset.

I just want to know how people stop other people's comments getting to them to the extent that they get me. Any tips?
    For me, like any other emotion joy, sadness, anger etc i embrace it (happiness more so as i always want to be happy). But with any negative feeling, i decide to let go of it, maybe through deep breathing and counting till ten. But it is necessary to realize what is making you upset in the first place to achieve this. Most people that i know who get annoyed easily often have some sort of criterion on how people should act and what they should know, that includes me. I easily get annoyed at my parents because of their (is that the right one?) Ignorance, and i found myself being pretentious about it and being easily annoyed. But i realized that rather then expect people to conform to some idealistic perception i needed to lower my expectations and also inform them on such things, if i don't do so the same thing would happen time and time again ("Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"). Realize your identity why are you getting annoyed so easily, is it like i have said above, out of expectation, judgement, these type of things are what you should think about if you don't already, Who do you want to be, do you want to mindlessly conform to society or be who you want to be?

I don't know if this advice would be helpful or not, but that is usually how i go about it. Any other questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    How do you mean?
    Life has many ups and downs. People's opinions shouldnt bother you if you have a goal in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Realise your own abilities and skills. Then you can shrug off the comments and learn to laugh them off. There's not much that the people who say small things like that can respond with.

ReputationRep:
    Grow a backbone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    Grow a backbone?
    ^ Comments like this sassy little number are the exact thing I would normally have a problem with. For some reason I don't have a problem with this one perhaps because anatomically I do have a backbone xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.