Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Donald Trump: right policies, wrong person? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it the case that the image of Donald Trump turns so many people against the idea of him being the next POTUS?

I find myself agreeing with almost everything he has said so far, especially about illegal immigration and how it should be scrutinised.

On the other hand, there's Clinton who's policies and character are simply repulsive. She's ready to open the doors to all kinds of immigration, whether legal or illegal.

I honestly think that if you replaced Trump with some other, more loved figure, that person would be voted in, even with the "ban Muslim immigration" policy.

Finally, much to the dismay of the anti-Trump crowd: he's going to win.

The US election is far too similar to Brexit - and Brexit won, despite all odds stacked up against it. It'll be a tight result, but Trump will edge it.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Always think that with leadership campaigns, a lot of the time it doesn't come down to what they're saying but who's saying it.
    Testament of this was Hitler, he had very extreme policies etc but his charisma etc made him very popular. Many other presidents of the US got in based on charisma as lopsided to merit, eg Reagan

ReputationRep:
    Awful election candidates, hopefully 2020 will be better

ReputationRep:
    Trump won't win, there is a big difference between leaving the EU and banning all muslims coming into a country.

Or ID tagging muslim, or building the wall (which ofcourse mexico will pay for)

ReputationRep:
    I think Donald Trump would be good for the USA. I don't think people should ignore him just because he is stopping Muslim immigration. There is ALOT more at stake here between the two competitors. And Hillary is a much bigger threat in other areas.

Hillary Clinton will not care about the citizens of USA. She works for the establishment. Not much will change if she is elected. She has already done bad things in the past.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While i do agree that character assassination is an important part of politics and Trump's personality makes him easy to discredit, i don't think there'd be a massive difference if these words were coming from say Paul Ryan.

With all that being said, i think that like Europe the US is seeing a resurgence in the politics of the 1930's and that over time a president who goes hard against immigration and Muslims is probably inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    Trump won't win, there is a big difference between leaving the EU and banning all muslims coming into a country.

Or ID tagging muslim, or building the wall (which ofcourse mexico will pay for)
    I was referring more to the similarities of those voting.

For Brexit, a lot of people who hadn't voted in years turned up to vote Leave, and similarly a lot of people who hadn't voted in the US are now voting Trump.

ReputationRep:
    Far more voters aged 18 to 34 couldn't be arsed voting in brexit compared to the number by which the vote was won. They didn't even have to get off their arses to vote they could have voted online.
    It was as much lost by the ones that didn't vote as won by those that did. The difference is they are now in the group doing all the whining.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.