Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone else had a bad experience with CAMHS? watch

Almost a year ago, I went to my GP about panic attacks and depression and she instantly referred me to CAMHS. Weeks later, we had a reply saying that I didn't qualify for them and some half arsed comments about how I should speak to someone in school about how I'm feeling (there's nobody at my school for this kind of thing). My condition deteriorated dramatically over the following months to the point where I was contemplating suicide. My GP was so frustrated referring me countless times but each time I was referred, I was again rejected.

About a month ago, I was referred for a final time when they finally acknowledged that I needed help... only to tell me that now I've finished my GCSE's I'm no longer in the correct age category. I may be wrong here (someone please correct me if I am) but my doctor told me that CAMHS should accept people up until 18 as long as they're in full time education. Now I'm with IAPTs which is the adult mental health service which has made everything far more complicated as they've never dealt with someone my age before and won't talk to my parents at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm really despairing now and on the verge of giving up and accepting that my mental health will stay in this state forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Almost a year ago, I went to my GP about panic attacks and depression and she instantly referred me to CAMHS. Weeks later, we had a reply saying that I didn't qualify for them and some half arsed comments about how I should speak to someone in school about how I'm feeling (there's nobody at my school for this kind of thing). My condition deteriorated dramatically over the following months to the point where I was contemplating suicide. My GP was so frustrated referring me countless times but each time I was referred, I was again rejected.

About a month ago, I was referred for a final time when they finally acknowledged that I needed help... only to tell me that now I've finished my GCSE's I'm no longer in the correct age category. I may be wrong here (someone please correct me if I am) but my doctor told me that CAMHS should accept people up until 18 as long as they're in full time education. Now I'm with IAPTs which is the adult mental health service which has made everything far more complicated as they've never dealt with someone my age before and won't talk to my parents at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm really despairing now and on the verge of giving up and accepting that my mental health will stay in this state forever.
    The IAPT services can be really good! Maybe even better than CAMHS please don't despair or write it off until you've given it a go! Also you say they won't speak to your parents... You're perfectly entitled to have them in at any sessions you are given. They will talk to your parents. I'm not sure what you mean by they won't talk to them have you asked them to do or say something specific to your parents that they've said no to?

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends have used CAMHS and had a very similar experience. They often complain about how they have poor communication and the meet ups are poorly arranged. One of my friends had an appointment with someone from CAMHS, it took her for ever to find the building she had to go in (for some reason it was in a primary school). Then when she got there she had to wait 40 minutes for her adviser to turn up!

I haven't had a great experience with CAMHS either, as part of a project we did, we had to raise money for charity. My group chose CAMHS, we phoned them up to ask about fund raising for them and they hung up!!! We couldn't believe it!!! The second we told them we were a group of young people, they hung up!

ReputationRep:
    I've been referred to CAMHS 3 times and every single time was awful! I needed the help so much but decided to get myself discharged by saying nothing was wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    CAHMS do not have a good reputation. One of my grandchildren was referred to them and they were worse than useless.

Well at least I'm not the only one!

I've been referred twice by two different GPs in the last few months with anxiety and depression. I also have autism, and was basically told that anxiety is common in patients with autism, with which I already have a diagnosis, so they "do not feel that [they] can help on this occasion".

ReputationRep:
    Well at least I'm not the only one!

I've been referred twice by two different GPs in the last few months with anxiety and depression. I also have autism, and was basically told that anxiety is common in patients with autism, with which I already have a diagnosis, so they "do not feel that [they] can help on this occasion".
    :lolwut: what on earth... That sounds like an absolute cop out. I guess they're probably thinking the adult services can pick up the pieces when you're old enough which is so crappy but a sign of underfunding etc probably either that or they're just extra wishy washy

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    :lolwut: what on earth... That sounds like an absolute cop out. I guess they're probably thinking the adult services can pick up the pieces when you're old enough which is so crappy but a sign of underfunding etc probably either that or they're just extra wishy washy
    I think it's just that they haven't got the funding to take anyone to whom they do not already have a legal duty of care. I've now been referred to a "MAT" team pending a third review at the hospital, so we'll see how that goes! :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just that they haven't got the funding to take anyone to whom they do not already have a legal duty of care. I've now been referred to a "MAT" team pending a third review at the hospital, so we'll see how that goes! :crossedf:
    Ah okay what's a MAT team?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.