The Student Room Group

Inspiration for medicine?

Hello,I'm currently in y10/Going to y11...

I am very interested in becoming a Surgeon...

I was wondering for any out there who has taken or is undertaking this career path who their inspiration has been?

E.G:A famous surgeon or ETC...

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello,I'm currently in y10/Going to y11...

I am very interested in becoming a Surgeon...

I was wondering for any out there who has taken or is undertaking this career path who their inspiration has been?

E.G:A famous surgeon or ETC...

Thanks.

No one tbh - it's just something I liked on my work experience.
Original post by usycool1
No one tbh - it's just something I liked on my work experience.

Is this common in the field of medicine?

As many people say they do not and to be honest it is fairly surprising...Is it due to the lack of actual rankings in the field of medicine as there are no ranking such as the best surgeons/doctors/ETC...
Original post by VNN
Is this common in the field of medicine?

As many people say they do not and to be honest it is fairly surprising...Is it due to the lack of actual rankings in the field of medicine as there are no ranking such as the best surgeons/doctors/ETC...

I don't know of many who have gone into Medicine mainly because they were inspired by someone else. If I had to say though, I was probably most inspired by the patients who I've met so far at Medical School and their optimism.

Very few of us aspire to become the 'best' surgeons or doctors after starting Medical School. Before Med School, most people are used to coming top of their class etc. After starting though, everyone is seen to be just as clever as everyone else. I don't think many of us have gone into Medicine to become the 'best' - most of us do it mainly because we want to help people (and find many weird and wonderful ways to express this on our PS/interviews).
Reply 4
I don't think many medics have a famous role model and if they do, it's usually someone from their family rather than someone popular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending