The Student Room Group

How much money is adequate for uni life?

How much money is adequate for uni life after accommodation, I am worrying now!
(per week)
Learn how to cook and you'll survive on less than £10 a week.
Depends on a few things. Someone who may be happy on £30 a week may not have the same priorities or tastes as someone who couldn't "cope" on else than £60 a week.

Some things to take into account.

-Your diet. Do you have any special dietary requirements that may cost more? Are you fussy with food? Can you cook? If the answer to all of those no, no and yes then you can easily feed yourself on £20 a week (not including eating out or buying lunch instead of bringing it from home)

-going out. Do you plan to go often? Do you tend to drink much? When you do drink are the drinks you get budget friendly or more expensive like cocktails?

-eating out, do you plan to do this often? What kind of places would you go (price varies).

-convenience food, do you plan to buy meal deals instead of bringing lunch from home? are you someone who tends to buy snacks while out and about? This will up your costs.

-General activities such as the cinema, events and hobbies. Plan to do these often? Know how much the things you are likely to go to cost?

-transport, will you need to use public transport often? Or do you need to pay for a car.

-Miscellaneous purchases, such as clothes and shoes and house hold products that needs replacing every now and again (washing up liquid).

Answer all those questions for yourself and you have an answer to work out your budget.

Also take into account different areas are more expensive than others. Clubs/ pubs/ restaurants for example in London will be far more expensive than their northern counterparts.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies guys!
Original post by Numero Uno
How much money is adequate for uni life after accommodation, I am worrying now!
(per week)

Hello :smile:,

I'd say around £30's. With that amount of money you have enough for a decent weeks worth of shopping and some treats on the side - e.g. going out and what not.
I lived on £80 a week in First Year and I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it - therefore, when I dropped to £30 in Second Year I had a lot of adjusting to do but realised it's a comfortable amount to live on.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

I'd say around £30's. With that amount of money you have enough for a decent weeks worth of shopping and some treats on the side - e.g. going out and what not.
I lived on £80 a week in First Year and I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it - therefore, when I dropped to £30 in Second Year I had a lot of adjusting to do but realised it's a comfortable amount to live on.

Good luck :biggrin:

thats good to know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending