Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I fear media studies may not be run at our school as i know of only 3 people who want to do it and maybe 1 or 2 more at most. I think it may not be run due to funding. However, i want to become a film director so would help me a lot if i could do media. If it is cancelled, what can i do to take it. Is it easy to do a school swap where i go to another school for media lessons?

ReputationRep:
    No university course will require Media Studies - English would be an acceptable alternative. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to study 1 A level at one college and the others elsewhere as the timetables just won't match up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    No university course will require Media Studies - English would be an acceptable alternative. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to study 1 A level at one college and the others elsewhere as the timetables just won't match up.
    I meant like a school consortium possibly. I know it's not a requirement but all courses do require a portfolio and a bit of relavent experience. Without media studies i don't have that so media becomes a sort of requirement for me because of the requirements set which without media, by myself i would not be able to achieve

ReputationRep:
    If the school you go to isn't in a consortium already then you wouldn't be able to swap between schools. You could always go to another school for all your A levels.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not willing to get a portfolio together off your own back then that's why universities will reject you, not because you didn't have Media Studies A level.*

You don't seem to have the best attitude if you want to become a film director. The people who make it to the top are the people who live and breathe celluloid. You're letting the fact that your school doesn't run a fifth rate A level stop you.

I will also point out, though, that you're actually incorrect on one point. There are a number of courses which don't require a portfolio for their courses in film and television production. Doing a facilitating subject would be more of an advantage for those schools than media would anyway. York and Warwick are two that you should look at.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giella)
    If you're not willing to get a portfolio together off your own back then that's why universities will reject you, not because you didn't have Media Studies A level.*

You don't seem to have the best attitude if you want to become a film director. The people who make it to the top are the people who live and breathe celluloid. You're letting the fact that your school doesn't run a fifth rate A level stop you.

I will also point out, though, that you're actually incorrect on one point. There are a number of courses which don't require a portfolio for their courses in film and television production. Doing a facilitating subject would be more of an advantage for those schools than media would anyway. York and Warwick are two that you should look at.*
    Maybe i didn't put myself across in the best way but anyone that knows me knows i am crazy about film and that its my one passion in life. Well, the reason i said i need media to do a portfolio is because my family's financial situation is pretty bad right now so i don't have access to filming equipment, editing software, a mac to use the software on without media which would give me in school access to all of that. Plus because of the lack of equipment access i have never actually made a film myself and also because my friends have never wanted to be in them and even if they did, i didn't want to waste time creating something lacklustre because i see film as an art form, os when i make a film i want to make it good, not just 3 10 year olds messing about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    If the school you go to isn't in a consortium already then you wouldn't be able to swap between schools. You could always go to another school for all your A levels.
    Our school is in a consortium as i spoke to someone who did media in a consortium 2 years ago when media didn't run. Also, by the time i find out for certain, its then too late to change schools or apply to schools as its friday and most schools start monday and all start by Tuesday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.