Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE I got 1A* 6A and 2 B whick I know is very poor in terms of oxford standards.
    For AS I got AAAC in maths physics chemistry and further maths respectively
    If I was to get A*A*A/A*A*A* which I am going to work for with a sick personal statement, could I reapply after a gap year since entry req is A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    You've asked and answered your own question.

ReputationRep:
    But why does it have to be oxford.

Is there a magically equation which I don't know about which simplifies to.....oxford = success in life

You should study what you want, where you want

ReputationRep:
    “There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett

ReputationRep:
    Physics at university level is applied maths plus practicals. Oxford wants all candidates to have taken the most relevant subjects to the course (for a physics degree, that's maths, further maths and physics) and achieve the top grades. When you consider the fact that mathematics is the language of physics, I'm afraid that the C in Further Maths is going to be a big blotch on your record. Although GCSEs aren't as relevant to physics admissions tutors as they are to medicine admissions tutors, 1 A* is rather below average (the average A*s in 2010 for physics was 5.79, see below), though they may overlook it if you go to a terrible school.

http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/u...s%20-%20NI.pdf

P.S. I realized this was posted in the Oxford Brookes University section when Oxford Brookes doesn't offer physics. I therefore assume that the person is referring to the University of Oxford instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    “There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett
    I love physics and want to be a physicist that's the thing lol but I guess doing my fav at the best university could only get me further to my dream

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.