English language B
    History B
    French B
    Maths C
    RE A*
    Science core B
    Additional C
    Health and Social care B

I am disappointed with these results as they don't meet the GCSE requirements for a dentistry degree. Could these grades be overlooked if I had a really good UKCAT score, personal statement and work experience etc.

Should I take a year to re sit some GCSEs and then start AS the following year or start AS as normal now and just re sit maths in November. Also will this affect my university application?

Any help and advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Are your science grades lower than you expected? Usually to do chemistry and biology A level you need a minimum of B at GCSE and they are the core subjects that you would need A s in at A level. Have you looked at dental hygiene requirements because they are a bit lower and it seems as though they can do much that a dentist can ( eg. simple fillings/extractions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    Are your science grades lower than you expected? Usually to do chemistry and biology A level you need a minimum of B at GCSE and they are the core subjects that you would need A s in at A level. Have you looked at dental hygiene requirements because they are a bit lower and it seems as though they can do much that a dentist can ( eg. simple fillings/extractions)
    Yes a B and a C but my college are willing to let me on. And nooo I want to be a dentist :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Resitting GCSE's to get them up to the required standard should not affect your application for MOST dental schools (Birmingham and Liverpool do not accept GCSE resits)

However, most dental schools do have a requirement for at least 5 A/A* grades in particular subjects to be achieved (Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield and Manchester are a few I can remember from the top of my head)
    On the bright side, Plymouth only require 5 A*-C grades, I believe, so you might want to consider applying there! (they're UKCAT heavy though)

I'd personally advise focusing on your A levels as much as possible these next two years to get AAA predictions and ensure that the rest of your UCAS application is up to scratch. Even if you get 4 pre-interview rejections, a gap year would do nothing but good! I'd recommend resitting your GCSE's in this time as you'll undoubtedly find the science ones easier after doing Biology and Chemistry A-Level. You'd also have a whole year to complete more work experience/volunteering and other activities that can strengthen your application when you reapply!

Grad-entry dentistry is also an option! They pay very little attention to GCSE's.

Hope this helps

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.