Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have a question about the Chevening Scholarship eligibility criteria. I fit all of them (from a Chevening country, have an eligible undergraduate degree, have applied to unis and got a firm offer, meet the English language requirement, will return to my country etc.) except one - which is to have had at least 2 years of work experience at the time of application. If I apply this round I will have had 6 months of research experience (graduated July 2015, took time out for travel and studying for the GRE etc and started work in February 2016). Is the 2 years of experience a hard and fast requirement? As in you're disqualified if you don't meet this, or is it just recommended?

I thought I would check if it's worth it to still apply, unless the Chevening scholarship is specifically designed for slightly older applicants who have been working for a while and want to get further qualifications.

Your help will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have a question about the Chevening Scholarship eligibility criteria. I fit all of them (from a Chevening country, have an eligible undergraduate degree, have applied to unis and got a firm offer, meet the English language requirement, will return to my country etc.) except one - which is to have had at least 2 years of work experience at the time of application. If I apply this round I will have had 6 months of research experience (graduated July 2015, took time out for travel and studying for the GRE etc and started work in February 2016). Is the 2 years of experience a hard and fast requirement? As in you're disqualified if you don't meet this, or is it just recommended?

I thought I would check if it's worth it to still apply, unless the Chevening scholarship is specifically designed for slightly older applicants who have been working for a while and want to get further qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusman)
    Hi guys,

The work experience factor is addressed on their website:
    http://www.chevening.org/apply/work-experience

*Applicants must ensure they meet the minimum work experience requirement for the award that they are applying to before submitting their Chevening application
    The word "must" (my emphasis above) indicates that this is a mandatory requirement and there would be no point applying with less.

The aim of Chevening funding is to establish excellent UK relationships with international professionals. Unless you have been working for enough time to have established yourself as a professional, the Chevening is not aimed at you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If it's unclear from the website email and ask. No one on here can tell you how they'd view your application. With some things they may be flexible and with some they may not be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusman)
    Hi guys,

Please follow the link on my reply to your query above, and read the text quoted. The Chevening website is clear that the 2 years of professional experience are mandatory.

The Chevening Scholarship's main aim is to establish good UK relationships with international professionals. If you are not a 'professional' then you are not the intended applicant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.