Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know a good online course for the basics of accounting ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanArthur)
    Does anyone here know a good online course for the basics of accounting ?
    Try this one:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduct...ca-fa1-ma1-x-4

Or search Coursera if you'd prefer more video content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fernweh47)
    Try this one:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduct...ca-fa1-ma1-x-4

Or search Coursera if you'd prefer more video content.
    Seems good but I need something I can do right now ( until the 12th of september ).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I've signed up ages ago and I still have access to it so I didn't know it is not open anymore. Think Coursera would be a good shot then - you can audit some lectures in there free of charge at anytime. Also never understimate Youtube. Alternatively, try introductory textbooks ( this one for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accounting-...dp_ob_title_bk), google them or ask at a local library.

It all depends on what you need these accounting skills for and what your goal is by 12th September. If you need it for uni, ask your department for a recommended pre-reading list (if you are THAT eager) or just have a look at your future textbooks. If you need it for a grad scheme, training will most likely be provided especially if a professional qualification is also on offer, but then it again depends on the role/industry/etc. You could have a look at the Vault guide to understand more about the industry though.

Best of luck - from my own personal experience, accounting is best understood by actually handling those numbers in a real job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fernweh47)
    Sorry I've signed up ages ago and I still have access to it so I didn't know it is not open anymore. Think Coursera would be a good shot then - you can audit some lectures in there free of charge at anytime. Also never understimate Youtube. Alternatively, try introductory textbooks ( this one for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accounting-...dp_ob_title_bk), google them or ask at a local library.

It all depends on what you need these accounting skills for and what your goal is by 12th September. If you need it for uni, ask your department for a recommended pre-reading list (if you are THAT eager) or just have a look at your future textbooks. If you need it for a grad scheme, training will most likely be provided especially if a professional qualification is also on offer, but then it again depends on the role/industry/etc. You could have a look at the Vault guide to understand more about the industry though.

Best of luck - from my own personal experience, accounting is best understood by actually handling those numbers in a real job.
    I am planning on doing an internship at an accounting firm , but they will only take me if I know at least the basics of accounting.And 12-16 september is the last week I can do my internship .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.