Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

I'm so confused what's going on

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to College next week to do a two year course in IT. They first told me it was triple Btec and on results day I got 8 passes, so I went to sign onto my course, he put me on a sub diploma. Now I read online that a Sub is one A level, but I was on a triple btec, so I thought it was 3??? I also want to go to uni, and I know they won't accept me on one alevel. So what's going on am I getting one alevel, or three from it being a triple btec?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...im not completely sure but i would make a educated guess and say 3? Sorry im not that much help, but i think its 3 ..good luck too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaktwy)
    I'm going to College next week to do a two year course in IT. They first told me it was triple Btec and on results day I got 8 passes, so I went to sign onto my course, he put me on a sub diploma. Now I read online that a Sub is one A level, but I was on a triple btec, so I thought it was 3??? I also want to go to uni, and I know they won't accept me on one alevel. So what's going on am I getting one alevel, or three from it being a triple btec?
    So thats true BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to 1 A Level. So what you want to do is change your course quickly to BTEC 90 Credit Diploma otherwise if you do just BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma then you need to do addtional BTEC/ A Levels. Just email the head of department.

Also there isn't such thing as triple BTEC usually what you will do is that you will study BTEC 90 Credit Diploma in your first year equivalent 1.5 A Level and then on your second year you will do BTEC Extended Diploma 3 A Leves.

If you want to know anything specific about the course then let me know I have just finished first year in IT with D*D*

ReputationRep:
    Just email or ring them and say that there was a mistake and they they put you on the subsidiary diploma instead of the extended. They will sort it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need certain qualifications for an extended diploma?

ReputationRep:
    You will need 4 A*-C grades including English and maths or a merit at level 2 diploma.

I did the lvl2 diploma and now enrolled to Level 3 extended diploma (90 credit) first year.

ReputationRep:
    So grades are not a problem, so I don't understand why he put me on sub

ReputationRep:
    So grades are not a problem, so I don't understand why he put me on sub
    I could be wrong, but maybe he put you on sub due to the fact that you got 8 passes as you mentioned. Extended Diploma does require a lot of hard work so probably he thought it would be easier for you to the sub.

Now how to tackle the issue.

I would go back and talk to him or another person about changing the course.

If that doesn't work you:

A: Do sub and transfer to Extended Diploma ( I don't know if this works at your college, but at mine if they see that you are making extraordinary progress on the course e.g. getting distinctions, good attendance and handing in assignments on time you can be transferred to extended diploma. I would ask about this option with the college.

B: You can attend a different college.

ReputationRep:
    there is no need to worry. this exact same thing has just happened to me, the reason why is because basically they are putting you on a sub diploma for the 1st year, this is so that if you drop out for any reason, you still have 1 a level to your name then if you stay on for the second year it becomes a extended diploma. i was confused as well but after talking to the college i was relieved and understood instantly, i hope this helps and makes you understand the situation bit more)

ReputationRep:
    Go back and say to them you're not willing to do a single one, you signed up for triple BTEC so that's what you're doing

ReputationRep:
    It might possibly be down to how your college claims final grades.
    Where I work we enrol students on the triple and only claim the first 6 units the first year and the other 12 at the end of the second year.

The Extended Diploma is normally referred to as the Triple as it is equivalent to 3 A Leels.

ReputationRep:
    Colleges near here enrol everyone onto the sub diploma in the first year, so that the have that as a qualification after one year. If you do ok in that you go on and do the extra units so that you have the extended diploma after two year.

You need to go and double check what your college does.

Some colleges near here want 4 GCSEs A*to C and some want 5 to get onto a level 3 diploma. You also need english and maths - sometimes if you only have one or the other you can do level 3. If you don't have either, even if you have 4/5 others you can only do level 2.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.