Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, really hope someone can help with my current predicament.

So basically what's happened is, I signed up for a summer let at private studio accommodation in Sheffield and also signed a contract to live there in the 2016/2017 student year and paid the £250 deposit. However during my summer let I decided I couldn't really afford to stay and explained this to the accommodation manager. She did mention potentially having to pay the full term of the contract (£6,000!!!!!!) but didn't mention anything else about it when I told her I found alternative accommodation.

So I spent all last week leaving her messages and trying to chase her up, and obviously assumed that it was okay that I move! So I paid the second accommodation the deposit and first rent instalment, and then suddenly on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm the bloody accommodation manager at my current place decides to inform me that I'm liable to pay the whole contract UNLESS I find a replacement student.

I can't believe she waited all week to do this. I feel like she's done it on purpose and now I'm stuck in such a stressful and horrible situation because now I'm left with 2 rents to pay for the entire student year. I really don't think it's right what she has done because it doesn't say a word in the contract about terminating it early or finding a replacement student. Plus the tenancy period doesn't even start until the 10th of September and I'm planning on moving out on the 1st.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct and/or ethical what they are doing?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty standard that you have to pay the full contract if you can't find an alternative and it likely would have been made clear to you when you signed (although that's a non-issue from a legal standpoint as the cancellation terms or lack thereof will be in the contract). You also have to consider that to most student a £6,000 loss is a fairly big hit so yes, what they're doing is fine, legal and ethical.

I doubt she did it on purpose, seeing as it's the summer holidays they wouldn't have been in the office so it would take longer to reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    It's pretty standard that you have to pay the full contract if you can't find an alternative and it likely would have been made clear to you when you signed (although that's a non-issue from a legal standpoint as the cancellation terms or lack thereof will be in the contract). You also have to consider that to most student a £6,000 loss is a fairly big hit so yes, what they're doing is fine, legal and ethical.

I doubt she did it on purpose, seeing as it's the summer holidays they wouldn't have been in the office so it would take longer to reply.
    There was nothing in the contract that mentioned cancelling the contract early or finding a student replacement. That's the part that bothers me. As well as the fact that she waited 6 days before I'm due to move out to inform me of this. I'm aware that it's the summer hols but when it's £6,000 in question I'd like to have a bit of notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozikinz)
    There was nothing in the contract that mentioned cancelling the contract early or finding a student replacement. That's the part that bothers me. As well as the fact that she waited 6 days before I'm due to move out to inform me of this. I'm aware that it's the summer hols but when it's £6,000 in question I'd like to have a bit of notice.
    My point was more that you don't have any way of getting out of paying the rest of the contract other than finding another tenant.

If there's nothing in the contract about cancellation then that just means there's no circumstances under which they have to cancel it, technically they could be being nice by allowing you to find a replacement tenant. As you have no cancellation terms you don't have a legal move out date, she probably should've checked her email and let you know sooner but there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Unfortunately you just have to admit that you screwed up and rushed things a bit, first by getting a place which is a bit too expensive and then by paying for new housing before you had a confirmation of not having to pay the rest of your contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    My point was more that you don't have any way of getting out of paying the rest of the contract other than finding another tenant.

If there's nothing in the contract about cancellation then that just means there's no circumstances under which they have to cancel it, technically they could be being nice by allowing you to find a replacement tenant. As you have no cancellation terms you don't have a legal move out date, she probably should've checked her email and let you know sooner but there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Unfortunately you just have to admit that you screwed up and rushed things a bit, first by getting a place which is a bit too expensive and then by paying for new housing before you had a confirmation of not having to pay the rest of your contract.
    I just don't know what to do Now I'll be stuck with 2 different accommodation to pay for for the whole student year. I can't afford that!

ReputationRep:
    I just don't know what to do Now I'll be stuck with 2 different accommodation to pay for for the whole student year. I can't afford that!
    Better start looking for a new tenant then, might be a good idea to start with freshers.

ReputationRep:
    Get in touch with your student union asap. They may be able to advise you about the contract, or help you to find another tenant.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, really hope someone can help with my current predicament.

So basically what's happened is, I signed up for a summer let at private studio accommodation in Sheffield and also signed a contract to live there in the 2016/2017 student year and paid the £250 deposit. However during my summer let I decided I couldn't really afford to stay and explained this to the accommodation manager. She did mention potentially having to pay the full term of the contract (£6,000!!!!!!) but didn't mention anything else about it when I told her I found alternative accommodation.

So I spent all last week leaving her messages and trying to chase her up, and obviously assumed that it was okay that I move! So I paid the second accommodation the deposit and first rent instalment, and then suddenly on Friday afternoon at 4:30pm the bloody accommodation manager at my current place decides to inform me that I'm liable to pay the whole contract UNLESS I find a replacement student.

I can't believe she waited all week to do this. I feel like she's done it on purpose and now I'm stuck in such a stressful and horrible situation because now I'm left with 2 rents to pay for the entire student year. I really don't think it's right what she has done because it doesn't say a word in the contract about terminating it early or finding a replacement student. Plus the tenancy period doesn't even start until the 10th of September and I'm planning on moving out on the 1st.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct and/or ethical what they are doing?

Thanks
    Why did you continue to arrange somewhere new after the accommodation manager told you about paying the full amount?

Regardless no one will be able to help you properly without the contract details or at the very least the name of the accommodation company. However you are unlikely to have any case against the case, as they don't tend to mess up on contracts. You may be able to get out of paying it early if you are allowed to find your own replacement tenant, but more information is needed for that. Sometimes it is only the halls that can fill the room which means you might have to pay rent for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smashpopbang)
    Why did you continue to arrange somewhere new after the accommodation manager told you about paying the full amount?

Regardless no one will be able to help you properly without the contract details or at the very least the name of the accommodation company. However you are unlikely to have any case against the case, as they don't tend to mess up on contracts. You may be able to get out of paying it early if you are allowed to find your own replacement tenant, but more information is needed for that. Sometimes it is only the halls that can fill the room which means you might have to pay rent for a while.
    If you read it again I did say that she said it was okay, hence why I arranged alternative accommodation. It was only at the last minute that she emailed me to say I am liable. That's what I'm so annoyed about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.