The Student Room Group

transgender UCAS application

I am applying this year for 2017 entry
I am transgender and wish to start transitioning when I start university, firstly socially transitioning by presenting and being seen as the gender I identify with.
I am not out to my parents and do not plan on coming out until I have moved out because I have no idea how they will take it.
I have some questions about how to apply

1) If I specify a 'preferred name' on UCAS will I be sent letters adressed to that name?

2) Once accepted by a university will I register with them seperately from UCAS (and have another chance to specify a chosen name) or will my name appear on their registers as on UCAS?

3) When applying to accommodation how is best to inform the people who organise it that I am trans, make sure my flatmates are not told my birth name, make sure they will know post with my chosen name on it is for me, etc ?

Scroll to see replies

1)Yes, I've heard that this is the case.
2) as on UCAS, trans person from the year above who's now at uni has it this way
3) Ask the people in charge of the accomodation
Reply 2
It's a bit of an awkward one. I think the safest solution is to do a deed poll just before you start uni so you can tell them it is changed but it still be a short enough amount of time that you can hold off on telling your bank etc until you don't need to have post sent to your parents' house

I'd get in touch with the uni as soon as you are accepted and tell them your situation, what you want and ask how they can help you arrange it. There's not going to be one solution because it'll depend on how the uni works and their IT system. If you aren't going to change your name on everything (bank account etc) then it might even be impossible for them to have any name on record for you other than your given name.
Reply 3
Original post by Ladbants
1)Yes, I've heard that this is the case.
2) as on UCAS, trans person from the year above who's now at uni has it this way
3) Ask the people in charge of the accomodation

Thank you this is helpful to know
Reply 4
Original post by BKS
It's a bit of an awkward one. I think the safest solution is to do a deed poll just before you start uni so you can tell them it is changed but it still be a short enough amount of time that you can hold off on telling your bank etc until you don't need to have post sent to your parents' house

I'd get in touch with the uni as soon as you are accepted and tell them your situation, what you want and ask how they can help you arrange it. There's not going to be one solution because it'll depend on how the uni works and their IT system. If you aren't going to change your name on everything (bank account etc) then it might even be impossible for them to have any name on record for you other than your given name.

Thank you I will look into this and consider it
Reply 5
Original post by kit16
I am transgender and wish to start transitioning when I start university, firstly socially transitioning by presenting and being seen as the gender I identify with.
I am not out to my parents and do not plan on coming out until I have moved out because I have no idea how they will take it.

1) If I specify a 'preferred name' on UCAS will I be sent letters adressed to that name?

2) Once accepted by a university will I register with them seperately from UCAS (and have another chance to specify a chosen name) or will my name appear on their registers as on UCAS?

3) When applying to accommodation how is best to inform the people who organise it that I am trans, make sure my flatmates are not told my birth name, make sure they will know post with my chosen name on it is for me, etc ?

With regards to changing your name: I am not trans but I did change my name at university, in first year. I changed it online by deed poll and was sent a certificate, which I signed with a witness. I took this to student services and they updated my records, and I got a new student card. It was all very straightforward. This would be good for you if you don't want your parents to know yet. Your UCAS correspondence might be best left as your birth name - you'll never hear off UCAS again once you're at uni so it's not a long term decision.

Obviously if you do this, you might have a short period initially where you receive post to your university address, which is addressed to you as your birth name. You've said that you wouldn't like your new flatmates to know this name so I guess that could be tricky.

I would suggest maybe getting in touch with student services now. Most universities are really good with things like this. Perhaps they can provisionally change your name even before you legally change it, or you could ask if you can pick up your post from a designated spot for the first few weeks, for confidentiality? They may also have other suggestions which I haven't thought of.

My uni (and most unis are, I believe) was very liberal and forward thinking and provided really well for the LGBT student community. My housemate came out as gay, and they found it to be very positive. You will find there is most likely an LGBT society and a lot of LGBT events so hopefully there will be a large support network for you. Also your flatmates should be sensitive to the situation you are in and not push unwanted questions on you. If they're decent enough people they will be aware of which pronoun to use and so on, if you are clear with them about it. If you have any issues with other students then the LGBT community and the university itself (because it has a legal requirement to do so) will support you.

I hope this helps. I am hetero and non-trans but having changed my name I have experience of the technicalities. If you want any more info on that side of things let me know.
Reply 6
Original post by abc:)
With regards to changing your name: I am not trans but I did change my name at university, in first year.

Thank you this has been helpful, I think I will do this as soon as I know where I am going
Reply 7
I was looking for information on how to complete the UCAS form - My daughter (mtf) started transitioning in S5 when she was 15. We have not changed her name by deed-poll. I understand that the registration for UCAS asks for name & gender (F) and then asks for birth certificate or passport details (which are in old name and gender (M). I hope someone can advise - but also I saw your post kit16 - obviously I don't know your personal circumstances, but I wanted to say that the love and respect I have for my child is not based on gender. I won't lie - it took time to adjust to the correct name, pro-noun etc but I have never seen my child as happy as she is now. I wish you the very best future and send my love to you.

p.s. If anyone can advise on the UCAS registration that would be wonderful.
Original post by canstra
I was looking for information on how to complete the UCAS form - My daughter (mtf) started transitioning in S5 when she was 15. We have not changed her name by deed-poll. I understand that the registration for UCAS asks for name & gender (F) and then asks for birth certificate or passport details (which are in old name and gender (M). I hope someone can advise - but also I saw your post kit16 - obviously I don't know your personal circumstances, but I wanted to say that the love and respect I have for my child is not based on gender. I won't lie - it took time to adjust to the correct name, pro-noun etc but I have never seen my child as happy as she is now. I wish you the very best future and send my love to you.

Unfortunately ucas implies you should put whats on your birth certificate and then state if you identify as a different gender to what you were born as (this is only available to universities as part of the equality data once a place is secured). She could write a letter to the universities informing them that she wishes to be refereed to as a certain name and her gender as female and that shouldn't be a problem from their perspective.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kit16

1) If I specify a 'preferred name' on UCAS will I be sent letters addressed to that name?

2) Once accepted by a university will I register with them separately from UCAS (and have another chance to specify a chosen name) or will my name appear on their registers as on UCAS?

1) Yes
2) They will usually just take your details from UCAS and put those on the system. However, I would suggest that you tell them as soon as you arrive (not before, for fear of them sending a letter in your new name to your home address) that you would like to change the name on your records. They may want to see some documentary evidence - if they do, then a statutory declaration (which is cheaper than and equally valid to a deedpoll) will work. You can get one done in person at a local solicitors - you could do this just before / after you move to uni
3) The uni won't disclose your name to your housemates - they can't start sending out those details to flatmates because of data protection. People will commonly make contact in advance (usually on fb, or sometimes TSR) so it might be worth setting up a new profile in advance. I'd also suggest speaking to the accommodation team in advance - some universities have single sex floors or flats, so you could find yourself in a room where the location would normally be designated for someone of your birth gender. Post will normally be addressed to your room anyway (this can vary by hall, but it could be addressed to kit16, Room 3, Acorn Corridor, Western Halls) so it's going to get there regardless.

University staff are invariably pretty sympathetic to this sort of thing - for example, a good FTM friend of mine spent ages stressing about telling his uni (he was mid course) and then found that no one batted an eyelid and it was all simple. However, universities are also bureaucratic machines that are very, very fond of paperwork (I should know, I work in one!), which is why you might find that a statutory declaration is very helpful.

I'd also suggest joining the LGBT+ society when you get there as you'll find a pretty understanding group of people there. Most unis also have a counselling service, which will be quicker than seeking support via your GP if you feel you need it. Finally, as soon as you get there, sign up with a GP (you'll need one in your uni town anyway) and then get the ball rolling with a referral to a GIC - it will take a while, so you're best off starting asap.

If your parents take things very badly, then most halls will automatically give you the right to stay there over xmas and Easter (typically this will be a 40-43 week contract) but if you're on a shorter contract that requires you to move out for the holidays, then speak to the university - they will have some room available over the holidays, even if you have to move bedrooms.

If you've got any questions, please let me know - I'm cis, but having seen a close friend transition while at uni and also working in a uni myself, I've got a pretty good idea of how these things work :smile:
Reply 10
I'm very wary of saying this, but as a parent I would suggest you do consider coming "out" before you go to uni. Reason being I can see your parents thinking it is going to uni that has put these ideas in your head. I have seen the confusion and helplessness of parents whose child came out as gay once at uni. Most probably they love you for being you and would want to support you once they got over the initial shock. They probably already have an inkling that something is not quite as it seems, and you coming out to them may even come as a relief. You don't say that you think they will be hostile, just that you have no idea what their reaction will be. (Personally, I would be putting forward the names I had chosen for if my child had been the opposite gender) Good luck with whatever you choose to do, anyway!
Reply 11
Original post by canstra

Thank you
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
1) Yes
2) They will usually just take your details from UCAS and put those on the system. However, I would suggest that you tell them as soon as you arrive (not before, for fear of them sending a letter in your new name to your home address) that you would like to change the name on your records. They may want to see some documentary evidence - if they do, then a statutory declaration (which is cheaper than and equally valid to a deedpoll) will work. You can get one done in person at a local solicitors - you could do this just before / after you move to uni
3) The uni won't disclose your name to your housemates - they can't start sending out those details to flatmates because of data protection. People will commonly make contact in advance (usually on fb, or sometimes TSR) so it might be worth setting up a new profile in advance. I'd also suggest speaking to the accommodation team in advance - some universities have single sex floors or flats, so you could find yourself in a room where the location would normally be designated for someone of your birth gender. Post will normally be addressed to your room anyway (this can vary by hall, but it could be addressed to kit16, Room 3, Acorn Corridor, Western Halls) so it's going to get there regardless.

University staff are invariably pretty sympathetic to this sort of thing - for example, a good FTM friend of mine spent ages stressing about telling his uni (he was mid course) and then found that no one batted an eyelid and it was all simple. However, universities are also bureaucratic machines that are very, very fond of paperwork (I should know, I work in one!), which is why you might find that a statutory declaration is very helpful.

I'd also suggest joining the LGBT+ society when you get there as you'll find a pretty understanding group of people there. Most unis also have a counselling service, which will be quicker than seeking support via your GP if you feel you need it. Finally, as soon as you get there, sign up with a GP (you'll need one in your uni town anyway) and then get the ball rolling with a referral to a GIC - it will take a while, so you're best off starting asap.

If your parents take things very badly, then most halls will automatically give you the right to stay there over xmas and Easter (typically this will be a 40-43 week contract) but if you're on a shorter contract that requires you to move out for the holidays, then speak to the university - they will have some room available over the holidays, even if you have to move bedrooms.

If you've got any questions, please let me know - I'm cis, but having seen a close friend transition while at uni and also working in a uni myself, I've got a pretty good idea of how these things work :smile:

Thanks so much for the detailed reply- I think it is helpful and I'll probably do the things you have suggested. I don't expect my parents to take it too badly but as they have never expressed any views on these sort of issues I would rather not risk it before I am living independently. I have done research on GIC referals and am planning on getting on with that asap
Reply 13
Original post by Artjen
I'm very wary of saying this, but as a parent I would suggest you do consider coming "out" before you go to uni. Reason being I can see your parents thinking it is going to uni that has put these ideas in your head. I have seen the confusion and helplessness of parents whose child came out as gay once at uni. Most probably they love you for being you and would want to support you once they got over the initial shock. They probably already have an inkling that something is not quite as it seems, and you coming out to them may even come as a relief. You don't say that you think they will be hostile, just that you have no idea what their reaction will be. (Personally, I would be putting forward the names I had chosen for if my child had been the opposite gender) Good luck with whatever you choose to do, anyway!

Thanks for the advice- It is good to know that you are a parent and many parents are like this. I have considered that they may think this way but don't want to risk anything before I can be independent. I don't really expect them to be hostile as if they felt strongly about it I think they probably would have expressed this? But the only things I have to go on is my mother's objection to my wearing 'male' clothing, constantly trying to pass it on to my brother, discouragement etc. I had my hair cut short recently and some people have been reading me as masculine (yay) but she said "it's slightly concerning that people seem to think you're a boy" and has never expressed any other views on anything LGBT+ so even though it is not openly hostile it isn't really accepting and I feel the transition may go smoother if I eliminate the possibility of hostility. I think they already feel as if something is up and are just hoping it will pass. If I am independent then it will be easier for me to assert my identity rather than feeling like I have to ask permission to be who I am. I have chosen Kit as my name and it is an abreviation of the middle name they gave me so they might apreciate that.

If the situation changes and I know they will not hate it then I will certainly take your perspecitve as a parent into account- Thanks again
Original post by kit16

For 2), I think for most unis there is a seperate enrolment process. My uni (Brighton/BSMS) did ask for a preferred name again as part of this but I can't guarantee every uni will so it might be worth sending out an email/phone call to check?

Just my two cents as it seems that everyone else on the thread seems to have covered the rest of the bases :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by lightwoXd
For 2), I think for most unis there is a seperate enrolment process. My uni (Brighton/BSMS) did ask for a preferred name again as part of this but I can't guarantee every uni will so it might be worth sending out an email/phone call to check?

Just my two cents as it seems that everyone else on the thread seems to have covered the rest of the bases :smile:

thank you for telling me- I like your name and picture by the way
Original post by kit16
thank you for telling me- I like your name and picture by the way

No worries, best of luck with everything :smile:

And thanks! You watch Shadowhunters too?
Reply 17
Original post by kit16
Thanks for the advice- It is good to know that you are a parent and many parents are like this. I have considered that they may think this way but don't want to risk anything before I can be independent. I don't really expect them to be hostile as if they felt strongly about it I think they probably would have expressed this? But the only things I have to go on is my mother's objection to my wearing 'male' clothing, constantly trying to pass it on to my brother, discouragement etc. I had my hair cut short recently and some people have been reading me as masculine (yay) but she said "it's slightly concerning that people seem to think you're a boy" and has never expressed any other views on anything LGBT+ so even though it is not openly hostile it isn't really accepting and I feel the transition may go smoother if I eliminate the possibility of hostility. I think they already feel as if something is up and are just hoping it will pass. If I am independent then it will be easier for me to assert my identity rather than feeling like I have to ask permission to be who I am. I have chosen Kit as my name and it is an abreviation of the middle name they gave me so they might apreciate that.

If the situation changes and I know they will not hate it then I will certainly take your perspecitve as a parent into account- Thanks again

Hey, me again! I just read this, and it reminded me, going back to my friend who I mentioned who came out as gay - he was very worried about coming out to his parents. He spent a long time writing a long letter which he posted to them. He seemed to remember his parents, Dad especially, making homophobic jokes... in the way many people do carelessly, making jokes about people being 'camp' and so on. He wasn't sure if this meant that they would not want him to be gay. As it turned out, these jokes just came from them not thinking about the effect of their words - they were [and are] incredibly proud of him and they reflect a lot more on the things they say now.

It's possible, although I don't know, that this is the same for you, and that these views your Mum has expressed might be something she would think harder about if she knew that you were trans.

Also just thought his coming out story could be helpful - he said the letter allowed him to say exactly what he wanted and how he wanted. It also gave him time to prepare for his parents' reaction, and probably gave time for them to think about their response. Also, he was far away from them, and close to a few people who knew he was gay and knew that he had sent the letter, so he felt supported. I'm sure it's a very personal thing how it's done but just putting that out there in case it's of use or gives you any reassurance.
Reply 18
Original post by lightwoXd
No worries, best of luck with everything :smile:

And thanks! You watch Shadowhunters too?

yes looking forward to season 2
Reply 19
Original post by abc:)
Hey, me again! I just read this, and it reminded me, going back to my friend who I mentioned who came out as gay - he was very worried about coming out to his parents. He spent a long time writing a long letter which he posted to them. He seemed to remember his parents, Dad especially, making homophobic jokes... in the way many people do carelessly, making jokes about people being 'camp' and so on. He wasn't sure if this meant that they would not want him to be gay. As it turned out, these jokes just came from them not thinking about the effect of their words - they were [and are] incredibly proud of him and they reflect a lot more on the things they say now.

It's possible, although I don't know, that this is the same for you, and that these views your Mum has expressed might be something she would think harder about if she knew that you were trans.

Also just thought his coming out story could be helpful - he said the letter allowed him to say exactly what he wanted and how he wanted. It also gave him time to prepare for his parents' reaction, and probably gave time for them to think about their response. Also, he was far away from them, and close to a few people who knew he was gay and knew that he had sent the letter, so he felt supported. I'm sure it's a very personal thing how it's done but just putting that out there in case it's of use or gives you any reassurance.

I think it is reasonably likely that this could be the case then it won't have been worth the worrying. Thank you for sharing the story with me, it's always nice to hear about simmilar situations especially when they ended positively

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending