Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does it sound like he thinks we're in a relationship? Watch

I've been dating a guy at work for about a month. Yesterday he was saying people might get suspicious of us because there will be obvious signs. Then he went on to say that he doesn't know if I want people to know about us right now or at all. He said he thinks people will question what i see in him and be negative. I told him that I didn't like people interfering with my love life and since he's that person in my life and we work together I'd rather they didn't know a thing. Plus i said I would have a go at anyone with anything negative to say.

Later on he joked and said I could call him my man. I honestly thought we were just at the early stages of dating. I mean it's clear to see we are both only dating each other, like each other a lot and have a view of a relationship. I mean when it happens it happens I guess :/. I will discuss this with him when I see him in a couple days... I just wondered. Does it sound like he does think this?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been dating a guy at work for about a month. Yesterday he was saying people might get suspicious of us because there will be obvious signs. Then he went on to say that he doesn't know if I want people to know about us right now or at all. He said he thinks people will question what i see in him and be negative. I told him that I didn't like people interfering with my love life and since he's that person in my life and we work together I'd rather they didn't know a thing. Plus i said I would have a go at anyone with anything negative to say.

Later on he joked and said I could call him my man. I honestly thought we were just at the early stages of dating. I mean it's clear to see we are both only dating each other, like each other a lot and have a view of a relationship. I mean when it happens it happens I guess :/. I will discuss this with him when I see him in a couple days... I just wondered. Does it sound like he does think this?
    It kind of does, I mean.. you're not really a 'thing' or an 'us' as he put it after dating 'for about a month' (though I'm not sure how many dates you've had then).

Sound slightly clingy to be honest but I dunno.

I told him that I didn't like people interfering with my love life and since he's that person in my life
    Sounds like you don't know what you want.

(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Sounds like you don't know what you want.
    Why do you say that?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you both being so secretive about your relationship?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Sounds like he is completely unsure of where he stands and whats on offer plus your answers didnt do anything but confuse the issue.

Have you slept with him yet?

He's saying he doubts why you are with him and people will wonder that as well as they will think he is out of his league.

He's saying people are going to comment, what can he say?

You say youd like them to mind their own business and keep it private.

That gives the impression you dont rate him or at least tha you have anything thats worthy of owning up to.

Imo just have a chat with him where you both stand. Say you like dating him, but its still casual at the moment(if thats what it is), but just give him an idea if or when you might consider going exclusive or you see any pitential for a relationship where he cna say and you will admit to being his gf. If you arent ready then just say so and then he knows.

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Why are you both being so secretive about your relationship?
    I wouldn't call it a relationship as we are only dating

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it a relationship as we are only dating
    Yeah but dating is a form of relationship..... it's one of those bad things about modern dating, no-one really knows where they're at in a technical sense. I knew one couple, that the guy thought they had been in a relationship for two years while the girl honestly thought they had just been 'seeing each other' rather casually.

Like would you go on a date with anyone else? If not you're realistically in a relationship.

Basically you have

Meeting up
    Seeing each other
    Dating
    (Potentially place 'relationship here)
    Serious Relationship

All the above can mean different things to different people, your best policy would be to talk to him about exactly what you two are.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.