Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HIII,

I have received my Gcse results and the only subject that has been a let down was Maths (Grade C), however I want to study Medicine and take Maths to A-levels. I was feeling poorly and under performed for my GCSE MATHS examination. I am planning to retake the gcse maths November paper, whilst being privately entered for Maths A-level? is this a good idea?

I really really need help and advice!
    Any advice is highly appreciated!
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    What grade do you usually get in maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkandBlue00)
    What grade do you usually get in maths?
    An A grade

ReputationRep:
    This could detract from your A level studies. If you think you'll be able to independently study a full maths A level then go ahead, but this is often a poor choice as many people work better with a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregy521)
    This could detract from your A level studies. If you think you'll be able to independently study a full maths A level then go ahead, but this is often a poor choice as many people work better with a teacher.
    I wont be working independently, ill be having a tutor teacher..

ReputationRep:
    You're ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajita1)
    HIII,

I have received my Gcse results and the only subject that has been a let down was Maths (Grade C), however I want to study Medicine and take Maths to A-levels. I was feeling poorly and under performed for my GCSE MATHS examination. I am planning to retake the gcse maths November paper, whilst being privately entered for Maths A-level? is this a good idea?

thank you so much
    Why are you taking A-Level Maths to get into Medicine? You only need it at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly.RK_)
    You're ****ed.
    Explain yourself please ((

ReputationRep:
    I wont be working independently, ill be having a tutor teacher..
    In that case you'll be slightly better suited to pass it, although it may still hurt your chances. It depends how well you can handle large workloads and your ability to do your own independent study.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my friend did this, its fine. You dont need alevel maths for medicine though, probably better to do something contrasting like an arts which is also diffcult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Why are you taking A-Level Maths to get into Medicine? You only need it at Cambridge.
    Without Maths its difficult for me to get into Medicine..

ReputationRep:
    HIII,

thank you so much
    I from personal experience would say retake your GCSE maths to try and get a B or higher. but if your on a C at the moment, dont bother doing A level maths. I got a B at gcse and revised a crap load and turned out to get a U in the real exam (just last year).

Think carefully about what subjects you really need to get into medicine and dont underestimate the jump from GCSE to A level.

Youll be fine with chemistry and biology. Dont stress yourself with maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr.12)
    Yeah my friend did this, its fine. You dont need alevel maths for medicine though, probably better to do something contrasting like an arts which is also diffcult
    can you please explan what exactly your friend did ? and what grades he/she got?

I am doing chem bio and socio (and art subj) and maths privately...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregy521)
    In that case you'll be slightly better suited to pass it, although it may still hurt your chances. It depends how well you can handle large workloads and your ability to do your own independent study.
    Thank you loads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellyandjam)
    I from personal experience would say retake your GCSE maths to try and get a B or higher. but if your on a C at the moment, dont bother doing A level maths. I got a B at gcse and revised a crap load and turned out to get a U in the real exam (just last year).

Think carefully about what subjects you really need to get into medicine and dont underestimate the jump from GCSE to A level.

Youll be fine with chemistry and biology. Dont stress yourself with maths
    Did you put in a lot of effort or were you lazy? because maths requires effort, at least that's what they say..thank you for the advice appreciate it..

ReputationRep:
    can you please explan what exactly your friend did ? and what grades he/she got?

I am doing chem bio and socio (and art subj) and maths privately...
    She got a B in gcse maths beacuse she was ill. Then she went on to do bio chem maths and R.S
    She got an a* in her retake
    and a B in AS maths

Wouldnt recommend AS maths at all if you have those subjects already. you dont nneed it for medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.