Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum constantly talks about my weight Watch

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to handle this?
    I would say I have put on around a stone and a half over the past two years but I put this down to a slowing metabolism and working 2 jobs whilst doing a nursing degree. I wouldn't say I'm obese or very overweight (not that it would even matter) I'd just say I'm a healthy weight, could do with losing a few lbs but overall I'm healthy and (up until this point) happy.
    I don't really drink or have any other "vices" I just like food. But recently my mum is on and on about my weight, it is constant and I've recently started to document it at about 2 times a day. When she is in a good mood they can be sly comments she covers with a giggle, when she is in a bad mood she outright tells me I could "do with losing a stone or two" whilst pinching my arm fat, it's even at meal times when after a long shift im just trying to enjoy my meals.
    I have openly discussed this with her and told her I am not interested in her concerns as I feel fine and I am no place at this moment to start a new regime to lose weight. I am starting to feel really down and if anything, her being constantly on at me just has me hiding food in my car and binge eating before I come home. It's becoming an obsession with her, and making me feel very down. I don't know who or where to go about this, all I know is that I feel she is a horrible person for making me feel this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to handle this?
    I would say I have put on around a stone and a half over the past two years but I put this down to a slowing metabolism and working 2 jobs whilst doing a nursing degree. I wouldn't say I'm obese or very overweight (not that it would even matter) I'd just say I'm a healthy weight, could do with losing a few lbs but overall I'm healthy and (up until this point) happy.
    I don't really drink or have any other "vices" I just like food. But recently my mum is on and on about my weight, it is constant and I've recently started to document it at about 2 times a day. When she is in a good mood they can be sly comments she covers with a giggle, when she is in a bad mood she outright tells me I could "do with losing a stone or two" whilst pinching my arm fat, it's even at meal times when after a long shift im just trying to enjoy my meals.
    I have openly discussed this with her and told her I am not interested in her concerns as I feel fine and I am no place at this moment to start a new regime to lose weight. I am starting to feel really down and if anything, her being constantly on at me just has me hiding food in my car and binge eating before I come home. It's becoming an obsession with her, and making me feel very down. I don't know who or where to go about this, all I know is that I feel she is a horrible person for making me feel this way.
    Ask her what it is particularly about your weight that bothers her so much? Does she have so innate fear that you'll die of a heart attack because a family member in the past did? Does SHE have issues with food and is now inflicting that on you? Did you used to be really skinny and now she's comparing your current weight with that?

ReputationRep:
    Wow she really needs to keep her beak out! I think you're going to have to be firm with her, whenever she says it just say 'i don't want you to comment on my weight anymore, if you do it again i will walk away from this conversation'. Hopefully repetition of that will send the message

ReputationRep:
    My mum does the same thing. I don't even live with her but whenever I skype her she tells me how overweight I am and if she sees me eating or talking about food or anything it's always "that's not good for your diet". :rolleyes: I've actually started avoiding speaking to her just because of how bad she makes me feel about myself. Not to mention stuff like commenting on my hair (I have a mohawk) every single ****ing time we speak. Pisses me off so I can see why you're upset. Sorry, don't have any solutions but just letting you know you're not alone. :console:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry that your mum is behaving this way, its absolutely dispicable in my opinion. As a mother myself, I would never in my wildest dreams make such cruel comments about my childs weight. I am almost certain that your mums nasty comments are actually nothing to do with you and are actually about her and her own insecurities regarding weight which she is projecting onto you. If this wasn't the case, she would sit down with you tactfully to discuss her concerns instead of making cruel comments and pinching your arms when you are eating! This kind of behaviour could have no other outcome other than make you feel bad - and she knows this.

You sound like a great daughter that any mum should be proud of, working hard in 2 jobs and studying to become a nurse. Life is about so much more than being a certain size and please don't let your mums nasty comments bring you down. Its your life and don't ever feel bad for being who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.