The Student Room Group

Chemistry Homework Help PLEASE

Hello I am doing A-Level Chemistry this year and went to my enrollment a short while ago, when I was there I was given some homework to do for chemistry. It asks you to come up with an experiment to work out the size of an olive oil molecule. And gives this webiste http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/content/filerepository/CMP/00/000/687/isms-9.pdf?v=1399160447243 .

My Idea so far is to get a tray of water and add in a drop of olive oil. Once this is done measure the distance the olive oil has spread across the water. From this I will know the area of the circle which is 1 molecule high. I am just not sure where to go next to calculate the size of one molecule. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated THANKS :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by JackLeggett
Hello I am doing A-Level Chemistry this year and went to my enrollment a short while ago, when I was there I was given some homework to do for chemistry. It asks you to come up with an experiment to work out the size of an olive oil molecule. And gives this webiste http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/content/filerepository/CMP/00/000/687/isms-9.pdf?v=1399160447243 .

My Idea so far is to get a tray of water and add in a drop of olive oil. Once this is done measure the distance the olive oil has spread across the water. From this I will know the area of the circle which is 1 molecule high. I am just not sure where to go next to calculate the size of one molecule. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated THANKS :smile:

You know the volume of oil that you added (estimate from the diameter of the drop you added). If you divide the volume of oil by the spread area you should get the height of the molecule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Claree
You know the volume of oil that you added (estimate from the diameter of the drop you added). If you divide the volume of oil by the spread area you should get the height of the molecule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And is this height equal to the size of one molecule as I know that it is one molecule high

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by JackLeggett
And is this height equal to the size of one molecule as I know that it is one molecule high

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Chemistry is a subject I prefer to avoid, but I still have an interest in science. When I have some tough assignments, I use the help of the guys from AnswerShark service. Don't judge me too harshly:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest