Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Asynchronous down counter help please

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  237.5 KB

I need to design a modulo 6* d type asynchronous down counter in which gated outputs reset the bistables after the appropiate count is achieved.
    The drawing shows a three stage counter which i can modify.
    A modulo 6* needs to count down 5,4,3,2,1,0 then resets back to 5,4,3,2,1, 0 etc
    I can get it to start at 5 and count down to zero but it always resets back to 7.
    Please help as its doing my head in
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mechynick

I also have this same question but am struggling to get a count. Do I need to edit simulation settings? My waveforms start at 0 then count down from 7. Also, do I need to alter period settings (currently 2ms) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    leave circuit as is, connect not Q (QN) outputs to a 3 input nand gate whose output will be 0 when all QN outputs are 1 (count 7) is used to SET flip flop U2 back to 1) (set input shown as triggered on negative edge 1 to 0, so u2 Q =1,QN goes to 0, giving count at QN outputs 101 =5, count now repeats endlessly modulo 6 (5,4,3,2,1,0 repeat). Down count taken from QN outputs count out

ReputationRep:
    Hi Eric what do you mean by "Set input shown as triggered on negative edge 1 to 0" I have the same question and can't get the curcuit working unless I put a Not gate on U2 and connect two of the Nand gate inputs to the not gate of U2 and the output of U2 which does not make logical sense. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here are some ideas to get you started, when I worked through it as you can see its hand written and instead of Q1,Q2,Q3i have used Q0, Q1, Q2 hope this helps.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf asyncdncounter1.pdf (649.7 KB, 41 views)
  2. File Type: pdf asyncdncounter2.pdf (131.7 KB, 37 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric reed)
    Here are some ideas to get you started, when I worked through it as you can see its hand written and instead of Q1,Q2,Q3i have used Q0, Q1, Q2 hope this helps.
    Really helpful Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did you get this to work....I can get it to count from 6 to 1 but not 5 to 0

ReputationRep:
    Hi eric, if you get a second, would you be able to post a copy of your final p spice circuit drawing, I appreciate your time, thanks in advance.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.