Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help? I need to write a letter/ email to my current school Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have attended my school since Year 7, and have finally decided to leave after Year 11. They have a sixth form, but I don't think it is as good as the one that I will be moving to.

I need to tell them that I have declined their offer for their sixth form, but just don't know how to without sounding rude. Before I got my GCSE results, I accepted their offer, just in case I didn't get the grades I would need to get into the other sixth form at my new school, so how do I go about declining their offer after accepting it previously?

Thanks for helping

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to worry about coming across as rude, it's normal to hold places in multiple centres.

I personally hold places in two and will be enrolling at both. I've spoken to teachers at both places and they have no issue with it as long as I'm still not messing around after the first two weeks or so.

Just write that you've decided to try something new, that your education will be better elsewhere, that it's time to move on, that you feel the best place for you is elsewhere, whatever. It's fine just as long as you don't write "PS you all stink" or something equally daft.

ReputationRep:
    Just be polite! They will be fine with it, they will have a lot of students going there already so I'm sure they won't mind.
    Just explain that you have chosen to go elsewhere after receiving your exam results. I would just word it something like this.
    Hello,
    After receiving my exam results I have decided that I will no longer be requiring a place at your sixth form.
    -add whatever else here-
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thank you and best wishes,
    -your name-

Sorry if that's a bit brief!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to explain your decision to them. Something simple and to the point will do. It's ok to sound cheesy.

Dear xxx,

After much consideration I have decided to decline the offer of a place at [current] Sixth Form. I have enjoyed my time at [current school] and feel it has provided an excellent foundation upon which to tackle my next challenge in life.

Yours sincerely,

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.