The Student Room Group

Starting A-Levels soon - Have a few questions

Thanks to whoever can answer them!

1) When should I start revising for AS exams at the end of the year(I'll be doing mocks)?
I Starting at the beginning of February for my GCSE and it made it a lot harder to revise during my actual exams. I was still able to put in 8 hours a day but felt extremely burnt out after I finished my exams.
I've never been a fan of revision cards, I've only ever read from a book and memorized. I tried creating revision cards but I never really looked at them.
2) Should I still create memory cards?
I'll be taking triple science and maths for A-level and although I found physics the least fun with biology second and chemistry the most fun, my strongest subject is still physics with biology my weakest (still all A*).
3) How much will my enjoyment in doing physics affect my exams as I've been told people who don't enjoy the subject will struggle by multiple students.
4) How much is the leap from GCSE to AS compared to AS to A-level
5) Will my GCSE results have any affect on my A-level predictions if there even is an effect?
6) What were the hardest areas you found in any of the sciences during year 12?
Thanks if you can answer any of these questions as it will be a great help.
Might be irrelevant but I'm curious, what do you hope to do after your A-Levels? What're your career aspirations?

Sorry I can't answer your questions I'm just about to start my A-Levels too haha
Original post by TomSuffolk
Might be irrelevant but I'm curious, what do you hope to do after your A-Levels? What're your career aspirations?

Sorry I can't answer your questions I'm just about to start my A-Levels too haha

I can't answer any of the OPs question either because, same. What are you planning to do?
Original post by hxfsxh
I can't answer any of the OPs question either because, same. What are you planning to do?

I'm hoping to do medicine, how about you?
1) to be honest I started from the beginning of the course making my notes which made memorising them at Easter time at lot easier
2) whatever works for you but they'll be A LOT more information to learn for alevels compared to GCSEs so a variety of revision methods should be used
3) it can make it easier to enjoy the subject but in my opinion the stress of alevels sucks out any passion and enjoyment anyway 😂
4) alevels are much more independent learning compared to GCSEs and you have to figure stuff out yourself a lot more. The amount of information you'll have to learn is A LOT more but honestly I found the leap from as to a2 a lot harder based on the amount of revision
6) I didn't study the natural sciences but some of my friends found the versatility of questions they asked and amount of revision to do the hardest
Hope that helps !
Missed one out
5) your GCSE results for English/maths will form the majority of predictions but you'll have initial assessments will be form your predictions too
Original post by SunnyBoys
Thanks to whoever can answer them!

1) When should I start revising for AS exams at the end of the year(I'll be doing mocks)?
I Starting at the beginning of February for my GCSE and it made it a lot harder to revise during my actual exams. I was still able to put in 8 hours a day but felt extremely burnt out after I finished my exams.
I've never been a fan of revision cards, I've only ever read from a book and memorized. I tried creating revision cards but I never really looked at them.
2) Should I still create memory cards?
I'll be taking triple science and maths for A-level and although I found physics the least fun with biology second and chemistry the most fun, my strongest subject is still physics with biology my weakest (still all A*).
3) How much will my enjoyment in doing physics affect my exams as I've been told people who don't enjoy the subject will struggle by multiple students.
4) How much is the leap from GCSE to AS compared to AS to A-level
5) Will my GCSE results have any affect on my A-level predictions if there even is an effect?
6) What were the hardest areas you found in any of the sciences during year 12?
Thanks if you can answer any of these questions as it will be a great help.

1] April, otherwise you will burn out.
2] Yep.
3] Yep, you'll have no motivation to revise.
4] It's over-hyped
5] Shouldn't do.
6] remembering the sheer quantity and the applications of it.
Reply 7
Original post by TomSuffolk

Original post by hxfsxh

Original post by studentproblems2
1) to be honest I started from the beginning of the course making my notes which made memorising them at Easter time at lot easier
2) whatever works for you but they'll be A LOT more information to learn for alevels compared to GCSEs so a variety of revision methods should be used
3) it can make it easier to enjoy the subject but in my opinion the stress of alevels sucks out any passion and enjoyment anyway 😂
4) alevels are much more independent learning compared to GCSEs and you have to figure stuff out yourself a lot more. The amount of information you'll have to learn is A LOT more but honestly I found the leap from as to a2 a lot harder based on the amount of revision
6) I didn't study the natural sciences but some of my friends found the versatility of questions they asked and amount of revision to do the hardest
Hope that helps !

Original post by studentproblems2
Missed one out
5) your GCSE results for English/maths will form the majority of predictions but you'll have initial assessments will be form your predictions too

Original post by citibankrec
1] April, otherwise you will burn out.
2] Yep.
3] Yep, you'll have no motivation to revise.
4] It's over-hyped
5] Shouldn't do.
6] remembering the sheer quantity and the applications of it.

Thanks all and my aim in life to become a dental surgeon. I was able to achieve 8 A* including sciences and maths and 2 as and 2 bs with an A in English lit and a B in English Language.
(edited 7 years ago)
1) I started properly in January and achieved AABB!
2) They worked for me, but if you don't feel they work then ignore them and find something that does!
3) There is a lot of work involved so it always helps to enjoy the subject, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't.
4) GCSE to AS is pretty huge, there's a lot more independent work and teachers expect you to be more responsible for your own education.
5) They will to start with but your progress and achievements throughout the year are more important.
6) I didn't take any sciences, unless you count Psychology, but friends have told me that the amount you need to know for the sciences is incredibly difficult... there's a lot to learn!

Good luck with this year, its really not as bad as it seems as long as you put in the work!

Quick Reply

Latest