The Student Room Group

Questions To Any Current/Former A Level Students?

I'm starting my AS' in September and want to find out what I've got coming to me. So for anyone whose studying/studied either Psychology, Sociology, Maths or English Language I have some Qs?

Whats the work load like?
How much work is there to do at home?
How hard is it to get the top grades?
A brief list of some things covered in the course?

And for Maths and Eng Lang whats the step up like from GCSE?
And is there much difference between? ie is it just like the next level or is there quite a bit of difference between subject content?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I can only really comment for Maths here, I've just finished A2 and got an A, I'd be happy to help:smile: the jump from GCSE to A level is pretty big, but do able!

My main advice would be to brush up on anything in GCSE that you may have found particularly challenging (such as indices, algebra and quadratic equations) as A level will build on the skills you already have. The other thing to do is practice! Don't leave everything until the last minute, as soon as you learn a new skill find questions, answer and check to make sure you're happy, and keep coming back to them during the year not just during exam revision. There are a level maths problems all over the internet along with past papers so you'll never be short. As for workload, it usually depends on your tutor, ours used to give us at least a past paper a week. Try to do all the work set and some more, don't be afraid to ask for help from your tutor.

Don't worry, you can definitely achieve top grades if you spread out the workload throughout the year! Good luck :smile:
Original post by katied98
I can only really comment for Maths here, I've just finished A2 and got an A, I'd be happy to help:smile: the jump from GCSE to A level is pretty big, but do able!

My main advice would be to brush up on anything in GCSE that you may have found particularly challenging (such as indices, algebra and quadratic equations) as A level will build on the skills you already have. The other thing to do is practice! Don't leave everything until the last minute, as soon as you learn a new skill find questions, answer and check to make sure you're happy, and keep coming back to them during the year not just during exam revision. There are a level maths problems all over the internet along with past papers so you'll never be short. As for workload, it usually depends on your tutor, ours used to give us at least a past paper a week. Try to do all the work set and some more, don't be afraid to ask for help from your tutor.

Don't worry, you can definitely achieve top grades if you spread out the workload throughout the year! Good luck :smile:

Thank you!! Congrats on your A!

Quick Reply

Latest