The Student Room Group

Shares & Stocks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isobelcalisse
Which is the best online brokerage to sign up with?

Interactive Investor in my opinion as the fees are pretty good as well as the platform.
Original post by momoneyme89
I have £25K in the market, feel free to ask me anything you want

I'm no pro, but I can do a pretty damn good job

Can someone give me tips on what I should look at when picking shares?
Reply 22
Original post by Kutie Karen
Can someone give me tips on what I should look at when picking shares?

Understand the company and the business that they operate in; what their short, medium and long term risks are and how well positioned the company is to exploit changing market conditions.

Ask yourself whether you can do a better job of this than the majority of commercial investors that are working on this full time - in the short term it's pretty much a zero sum game, if you're below average on this, you lose money.
Original post by estel
Understand the company and the business that they operate in; what their short, medium and long term risks are and how well positioned the company is to exploit changing market conditions.

Ask yourself whether you can do a better job of this than the majority of commercial investors that are working on this full time - in the short term it's pretty much a zero sum game, if you're below average on this, you lose money.

Thanks. Kinda of wanted to know what stats/figures do people look at to see the potential. Anyone know?
Original post by ACER676
I'm 18 and currently reading "How to Make money in stocks" by William J O'Neil, and actually thinking of buying shares. Anyway my question is, is it worth it to invest in this sort of thing, will I actually profit of it and has anyone ever done it and been successful?

Forex Trading 0207 751 8900
www.freeforexseminar.co.uk
www.learntotrade.co.uk
Ring that company to find out if they hve a seminar in your area
If they do you can book a free ticketto go for you and guests
Their next seminar is on 20 September
I booked an appointment to go but i will only do so if my friend is not working on tat date but they do have other dates, you just have to choose what date is best for you to go. The CEO and founder of the company Greg Secker is giving a presentation on that date
Thanks. Kinda of wanted to know what stats/figures do people look at to see the potential. Anyone know?

Worth doing some research as these stats are generally called 'Fundamentals' e.g. PB ratio (under 1 suggests generally that the stock is undervalued i.e. seller at a relatively cheap price). I would recommend reading the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham where all these fundamentals are explained very well with good examples.
Original post by 08hussainf
Worth doing some research as these stats are generally called 'Fundamentals' e.g. PB ratio (under 1 suggests generally that the stock is undervalued i.e. seller at a relatively cheap price). I would recommend reading the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham where all these fundamentals are explained very well with good examples.

Thanks, Do these fundamentals actually help/work? Also, do you know any websites as I an not keen on buying a book especially if it is expensive. ?
Thanks, Do these fundamentals actually help/work? Also, do you know any websites as I an not keen on buying a book especially if it is expensive. ?

No problem you can read it online

http://www.fxf1.com/english-books/The%20Intelligent%20Investor%20-%20BENJAMIN%20GRAHAM.pdf

I believe they do work as they help you analyse whether a stock is worth buying and the majority of investors will be looking at these fundamentals also to evaluate if the stock is profitable. For instance, Warren Buffett buys shares trading below their 'Intrinsic Value' (or natural value) which means overtime if other things remain good, the market price should level up to the intrinsic value. Other things include price to book value e.g. under 1 in most cases means its generally cheap. I am thinking of buying stocks next month and am betting on oil but just waiting for the right price and then intend to hold on to them. But yes, to answer your question these fundamentals do help as most investors looking to make substantial returns ignore what people are saying about a stock and look into the fundamentals themselves and then make a decision. The book is a good read though as I got the majority of my tips for evaluating stocks from here!
Original post by 08hussainf
No problem you can read it online

http://www.fxf1.com/english-books/The%20Intelligent%20Investor%20-%20BENJAMIN%20GRAHAM.pdf

I believe they do work as they help you analyse whether a stock is worth buying and the majority of investors will be looking at these fundamentals also to evaluate if the stock is profitable. For instance, Warren Buffett buys shares trading below their 'Intrinsic Value' (or natural value) which means overtime if other things remain good, the market price should level up to the intrinsic value. Other things include price to book value e.g. under 1 in most cases means its generally cheap. I am thinking of buying stocks next month and am betting on oil but just waiting for the right price and then intend to hold on to them. But yes, to answer your question these fundamentals do help as most investors looking to make substantial returns ignore what people are saying about a stock and look into the fundamentals themselves and then make a decision. The book is a good read though as I got the majority of my tips for evaluating stocks from here!

No! Stocks are best valued with P/E ratios or PEG ratios. I prefer P/E for a quick glance.
Original post by bhenchodd
No! Stocks are best valued with P/E ratios or PEG ratios. I prefer P/E for a quick glance.

Sure that is perfectly fine. i just like to be thorough when analysing stocks that's all. I'm currently looking into forex rather than stocks.

Quick Reply

Latest