Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So recently I've seen everyone on here and social media banging on about how a-levels are so incredibly hard compared to GCSEs. My advice would be not to listen to this BS. Sure, in a-levels you go into more depth in your chosen subject, meaning in that subject there is a lot more to learn compared to GCSEs. However, you're only having to focus on a maximum of 5 subjects at A-level rather than 12 at GCSEs. This makes it easier since you're not constantly changing the field of which you are studying, going from R.E to Physics to French etc. At a-level you won't have half the amount of exams you did a GCSEs, therefore you won't be losing focus after having done your 21st exam with still two more to go, like at GCSE.
    In my experience I put just as little revision into my as-levels as I did my GCSEs and came out with about equivalent grades.
    So yeah, just don't worry about it all too much

ReputationRep:
    I agree! Being able to focus your efforts on a small number of subjects you are passionate in is definitely a pro over GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workaholism)
    I agree! Being able to focus your efforts on a small number of subjects you are passionate in is definitely a pro over GCSE's.
    Yeah man, was unbearable sitting in the lessons that you just had no interest in what so ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procastination)
    So recently I've seen everyone on here and social media banging on about how a-levels are so incredibly hard compared to GCSEs. My advice would be not to listen to this BS. Sure, in a-levels you go into more depth in your chosen subject, meaning in that subject there is a lot more to learn compared to GCSEs. However, you're only having to focus on a maximum of 5 subjects at A-level rather than 12 at GCSEs. This makes it easier since you're not constantly changing the field of which you are studying, going from R.E to Physics to French etc. At a-level you won't have half the amount of exams you did a GCSEs, therefore you won't be losing focus after having done your 21st exam with still two more to go, like at GCSE.
    In my experience I put just as little revision into my as-levels as I did my GCSEs and came out with about equivalent grades.
    but you're studying the 4 or 5 subjects in GREAT detail, which means LOADS more topics to learn.
    There is a reason why people bang on about how hard they are. Sure, some people might exaggerate. But from what your post implies, it seems like you're saying people should take A Levels easily. Which they shouldn't do. They're important, yo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    but you're studying the 4 or 5 subjects in GREAT detail, which means LOADS more topics to learn.
    There is a reason why people bang on about how hard they are. Sure, some people might exaggerate. But from what your post implies, it seems like you're saying people should take A Levels easily. Which they shouldn't do. They're important, yo.
    yeah... They're important, but what I was trying to get across is that you don't need to be sweating it all year round and start revising in March or something, just to have grades you'll be happy with. Just take it in your stride

ReputationRep:
    I don't really agree with this to be honest. Some a levels require a lot of revision all year round.

Law requires constant studying from the beggining of the year and if you don't then the likelihood is that there is no chance in passing.

I fundamentally disagree with the honourable gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    I second this!

ReputationRep:
    Who here does 5 subjects at A level? I only do 3 and can barely manage

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.