Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just received the College handbook from Merton. I just saw that there is this form which has to be filled in ASAP and I had a few questions about its content.
    I am from another EU country, and the form asks whether I have aplied to an LEA. Now what exactly is an LEA? I have to send a copy of my SLC/LEA Financial Assessment to the college. I have in my posession a document from Student Finance Direct which confirms that I am "liable to assistance with tuition fees as a European Student" (I am entitled to the student loan covering University fees). Is this the same document that I need to send to show that I am not required to pay College tuition fee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    Hi, I just received the College handbook from Merton. I just saw that there is this form which has to be filled in ASAP and I had a few questions about its content.
    I am from another EU country, and the form asks whether I have aplied to an LEA. Now what exactly is an LEA? I have to send a copy of my SLC/LEA Financial Assessment to the college. I have in my posession a document from Student Finance Direct which confirms that I am "liable to assistance with tuition fees as a European Student" (I am entitled to the student loan covering University fees). Is this the same document that I need to send to show that I am not required to pay College tuition fee?
    LEA = Local Education Authority. When a UK student applied for financial support (or indeed the payment of education at a lower schooling level) their fees are paid not directly by the government but by their local education authority. The SLC acts as a private company on behalf of the LEA the Student applies to in providing loans and payment of tuition fees.

In answer to your question, yes, a notification of not paying student fees would be sufficient. The document they want, from SLC, should say something like "Student Finance Notification" on the top of it. Quite often they send mutiple copies - 1 for you, 1 for your parents and 1 for your university. If not you can photocopy it, but only send the copy. Make sure you keep a version.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so having applied to the SLC implies I have applied to an LEA and should thus tick "yes" where they ask me whether I have or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    Ok, so having applied to the SLC implies I have applied to an LEA and should thus tick "yes" where they ask me whether I have or not.
    hmmmm... I guess so, if it's between that and saying you haven't applied for funding, then yes you've applied to an LEA more than no. Even though you haven't directly applied to them. I think it will be apparent from the notification copy what you've done anyway.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.