Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have gotten a D in GCSE English for the third time Watch

ReputationRep:
    For three years in a row now I have done my GCSE English exam leaving the exam hall thinking I have done reasonably well, expecting a decent result in August, only to look on my results finding out I have gotten a D grade. I failed GCSE English in school, getting a D grade, I have gone to college for two years now and have both times, despite according to my tutor getting A's and B's in my controlled assessments, to just wind up getting a D at the end of my exams.

I am getting increasingly depressed as the attempts and years have gone on. I consider myself to be smart, not a genius but above average. I can't work out why this keeps happening as my spelling and grammar is fine (as you can see) and surely this warrants basic understanding of the English language and in turn an average C grade. I have felt so hopeless and depressed this time round that I, for a brief second contemplated suicide.

I am getting so sick and tired of GCSE's that I don't want to bother with it anymore, I don't want to waste my time anymore retaking it. I mean what's the point? If I keep getting D grades, who's to say that I won't continue getting D grades in English? It's such ******** because now every time in the future when I apply for a job and go through the interview process, the interviewer will assume I am stupid judging by my GCSE's. I feel so helpless, I just want to make the pain stop inside. I am ****ing useless.

ReputationRep:
    I need advice I am completely burned out here.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up. I didn't pass english the first time either. Did you practice much using past papers?

ReputationRep:
    English literature or English language? Your English does seem fine. Maybe you aren't doing what they require?

ReputationRep:
    I can't explain why you've been continuously scoring lower than expected - I know lots of cases (my own included) where people perform well consistently but underperform in exams - but please don't let your GCSE grades define your intelligence and existence. There are A Levels ahead, where you can choose the subjects you like and have a chance to outshine yourself. There are lots of options open, I promise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.