Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Planning and Real Estate Defree at UCL Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you still get into investment banking or consultancy with a degree in Planning and Real Estate at UCL?
    I am considering this degree as I possess a great interest in the built environment however desire to work at an invesment bank or a consultancy firm in the future (e.g. JP Morgan or Mckinsey).
    Sorry for the mistake in the title - *Degree
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj122)
    Can you still get into investment banking or consultancy with a degree in Planning and Real Estate at UCL?
    I am considering this degree as I possess a great interest in the built environment however desire to work at an invesment bank or a consultancy firm in the future (e.g. JP Morgan or Mckinsey).
    Sorry for the mistake in the title - *Degree
    yes. there are real estate coverage groups in investment banking, which would be a decent fit if that's what you're interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    yes. there are real estate coverage groups in investment banking, which would be a decent fit if that's what you're interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply mate. Then the knowledge gained from the degree would at least be somewhat tranferable if based in a real estate coverage group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj122)
    Thanks for the reply mate. Then the knowledge gained from the degree would at least be somewhat tranferable if based in a real estate coverage group.
    According to university league tables I have concluded that the University of Reading offers the highest quality teaching in regards to real estate. However, would studying at Reading reduce my chances of getting into IB or consultancy? Or should I compromise and go for UCL, whose course may not be of the same calibre as that of Reading, due to its international reputation and it being a target uni?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj122)
    According to university league tables I have concluded that the University of Reading offers the highest quality teaching in regards to real estate. However, would studying at Reading reduce my chances of getting into IB or consultancy? Or should I compromise and go for UCL, whose course may not be of the same calibre as that of Reading, due to its international reputation and it being a target uni?
    UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj122)
    Reading offer a named degree in 'Real Estate Investment and Finance' which is specifically targeted at your area of interest. People sometimes join our 3+1 planning programme and transfer (in second year) to the invest/finance prog.

There's some discussion about the UCL/Reading choice here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...023&highlight=

....and there's some info on employment prospects from our Invest/Finance Pathway Director in this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post62808971

Joe Doak,
    Admissions Tutor for Real Estate & Planning,
    University of Reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klsdoakj)
    Reading offer a named degree in 'Real Estate Investment and Finance' which is specifically targeted at your area of interest. People sometimes join our 3+1 planning programme and transfer (in second year) to the invest/finance prog.

There's some discussion about the UCL/Reading choice here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...023&highlight=

Joe Doak,
    Admissions Tutor for Real Estate & Planning,
    University of Reading
    Thank you for your insightful input.
    I will be sure to look at the degree course that the University of Reading offers.

ReputationRep:
    is it offered by the Henley business school? I hear they're indeed quite good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    is it offered by the Henley business school? I hear they're indeed quite good
    Yes, it is one of the 25+ UG programmes offered by the Business School. We have a small block of three UG programmes in the Real Estate sector: BSc Real Estate; BSc Investment & Finance in Property; and BSc Real Estate with MSc/Dip in Urban Planning and Development....and we do our best to stay ahead of the competition!
    Joe

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.