Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering do all universities do interviews for those who want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaspoon)
    i was wondering do all universities do interviews for those who want to do medicine?

No Southampton and a scottish university (not sure which one) do not interview for their standard 5yr courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

No Southampton and a scottish university (not sure which one) do not interview for their standard 5yr courses.
    Edinburgh.

Both do interview a few peeps though - probably partly as some kind of QA process - PecilQueen might be able to add to this for Soton...

ReputationRep:
    is work experience very very important if you want to aply for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Cruicial if you want your application to stand out. For some universities almost as important as good grades...

ReputationRep:
    Not only is it important to your application, it's important for you to find out for sure if medicine in the career for you, - theres no point going through the whole application process to find that when you get in you didn't really fancy being a doctor afterall.

Like someone said, it is essential. However, one tip: unitversities like to see different kinds of work experience mentioned: just going to a hospital, shadowing a surgeon for a week isn't going to make you stand out. On the other hand, if you managed to get this sort of hospital placement in addition to, say, working at a Hospice/British heart Foundation/With children (especially those with disabilities...which is a very moving and rewarding experience in itself), then it shows the interviewers that you have experienced palliative/pastoral care as well as the run-of-the-mill hospital medicine. This makes you appreciate medicine on a completely different level, and should lead you to discover whether medicine really is the career choice for you (someone else said that, didn't they..?Sorry!)

Personally, working in these kinds of voluntary services made me realise all the more that medicine was definitely the career for me. I's a real eye-opener.

ReputationRep:
    so it would be better to work in a hospice rather than help out on the wards in a hospital(even if it's an oncological(is that a word? ) ward?) ???

Not necessarily. If possible, do both. I went into theatres/shadowed in A&E (and fainted... something I don't usually talk about, but am willing to confess to tommorow's doctors), saw a bit about what nurses do/visited Radiology during my week in a hospital last year. Visit as many wards as you can.

But try to get engaged in some sort of community service too. Ideally, interviwers like to see that you've considered medicine form both sides, and that you are aware it's not all prestige and glory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777)
    Not necessarily. If possible, do both. I went into theatres/shadowed in A&E (and fainted... something I don't usually talk about, but am willing to confess to tommorow's doctors), saw a bit about what nurses do/visited Radiology during my week in a hospital last year. Visit as many wards as you can.
    I fainted on my work experience in A&E too. It wasn't even particularly gross, I just hit the deck, no idea why

Lovely girl - ffs, stop worrying about what is "better," find out a bit about what is available in your area, decide what you would like to do, and do it!

(Original post by Helenia)
    I fainted on my work experience in A&E too. It wasn't even particularly gross, I just hit the deck, no idea why

Lovely girl - ffs, stop worrying about what is "better," find out a bit about what is available in your area, decide what you would like to do, and do it!
    Hi Helenia, nice to know that somebody else has experienced my pain!!! However, according to society, it's slightly less acceptable for a bloke, if you know what I mean! I was teased by my dad for months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

ok, ok...I'll try to stop worrying about it so much It's just that my friend, who is also applying for med, is getting me sooo anxious about what i should/shouldn't do...perhaps i shouldn't listen to her as much...I'm just paranoid now! lol...ok, i'll calm down...but I can't even find anything in my area...everything(well, like hospices and stuff) is soo far away from where i live(and i live in london!-i have no idea why!)...
    but ok, i'll stop...

ReputationRep:
    The millennium volunteers is a great place to find community based voluntary experience. You put something back whilst gaining both skills applicable to many things, including med school and kudos with the schools themselves. MV is the 'new' DoE!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Helenia, nice to know that somebody else has experienced my pain!!! However, according to society, it's slightly less acceptable for a bloke, if you know what I mean! I was teased by my dad for months!
    I view it as just as embarassing for me - I'm not a girly girl when it comes to grossness, and I couldn't believe it, was so horrified that I did that!

What was yours over?

Some kid got whacked over the eye with a hockey stick (literally a centimetre above the eyeball....very narrow escape). It was when they started sewing the cut back together (so not that gross either really....).

The weird thing is, I've been into operating theatres loads of times (dad's an anaesthetist, so I get smuggled in fairly hassle-free), and have never felt like fainting inside (I've seen angioplasties/tonsilectomies/hernia repairs...you name it). So I'm putting the little stint in A&E more down to tiredness than any real sense of stomach-churning(...or at least that is what I goad myself into believing.It relieves the embarassment for a while...a very little while|!)

(Original post by imperial_baby)
    lol i did work expo in a psychiatric ward in south africa and this guy has smacked his head against a wall so much that it had a crack in it..and when the doctor was sewing it up i couldn't ever bear to watch it so i just walked out..i'm just so worried that i'm not going to get used to the sight of blood...i've been forcing myself to watch like operations on tv like in casualty and that..but it's not really the same as the real thing..
    I'm sure we'll all get loads of practice, and eventually will become immune to it.

It's the idea of being a vet that I can't stand...dealing with human urinary tracts and digestive systems is fine, but animals...(I really would want to vomit if I had to look up a rabbit's arse)

lol! hav u applied 4 vet school then?? i'm sure u'll get used to it..after all an ass is an ass right?? :confused: u jus got 2 hope it doesn't take a **** when ur examining it
    No way...I would not go to vet school if my life depended on it. At least not whilst I am still in full posession of my wits. I'm going to med school...like I said: humans I can deal with. It's the animals that are a major no-no.

wat one are u goin 2 go 2 then?
    Hopefully KCL (if not, then Bristol). How about you? (Oh...probably Imperial...just got that!)

ReputationRep:
    Some kid got whacked over the eye with a hockey stick (literally a centimetre above the eyeball....very narrow escape). It was when they started sewing the cut back together (so not that gross either really....).

The weird thing is, I've been into operating theatres loads of times (dad's an anaesthetist, so I get smuggled in fairly hassle-free), and have never felt like fainting inside (I've seen angioplasties/tonsilectomies/hernia repairs...you name it). So I'm putting the little stint in A&E more down to tiredness than any real sense of stomach-churning(...or at least that is what I goad myself into believing.It relieves the embarassment for a while...a very little while|!)
    Mine was similarly non-dodgy - a guy had got a fairly nasty chemical burn on the inside of his elbow (cubital fossa, if we're going to be picky ) and was having it re-dressed. The doctor was just cutting away some dead skin around the edge of it, and I fainted! I don't really know why; I'm thinking it's more because I'd been standing still for ages and was really hot - at least, that's my excuse.

Dissection this year has made me immune to a lot of things, though it's probably not the same as seeing real live stuff (wasn't allowed to see any surgery, and I don't have the connections to be able to blag it )

ReputationRep:
    umm, well I'm surprised that the patients I've seen so far don't get embarassed...cause I definately would be if I had to take off my clothes in front of a male doctor(or vice versa) + a work experience stuent(ie. me! lol)...umm I've faced this in dermatology, oncology, orthopaedics, everywhere...! It's not that I get very embarassed, it's just that im surprised at how lightly the patients take it...(well...when male doctors examine womens'...) and also, for example, today in dermatology a guy had to take all of his clothes off, cause he had skin problems in quite..umm intimate areas of his body!...and I was just standing there, watching, but the doctor kept encouraging me to come even closer! They're always like, "Anna, don't worry, come closer...if you come closer(and i AM v. close!!! what do they want?! lol!), you can see...can you see*points* that...well, if you come closer and lean in, you will see that..."
    Now im not saying that i have a problem with that...after all, i want to become a doctor! But...it's just...I dunno...I find it strange that patients don't mind at all, and doctors behave in this way...hmmm...
    And like they said about the ITV programme about med students(mondays, 10pm), I had to examine "an old chap's old chap" today, lol...and im not even a med student!!! :eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.