Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Although not a requirement, I am aware that many oxbridge applicants for medicine study 4 science/maths A levels. Would someone with these subjects have an advantage over someone taking 3 science/ maths subjects alongside one unrelated subject?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tarscamer)
    Although not a requirement, I am aware that many oxbridge applicants for medicine study 4 science/maths A levels. Would someone with these subjects have an advantage over someone taking 3 science/ maths subjects alongside one unrelated subject?
    Have moved this to medicine so you can hopefully get some replies.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I've wondered this myself I've emailed almost 20 universities to check (no exaggeration)

They've all said that as long as you have Biology and Chemistry they have absolutely no preference what your 3rd and 4th subject is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarscamer)
    I wouldn't over work your self doing maths and then 3 sciences as it doesn't really put you at an advantage and is more likely to effect your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, doing 4 sciences correlates slightly negatively with offers (18% applicants vs 14% offer holders). Not a lot, but certainly no reason to think you should do it unless you actually want to.

ReputationRep:
    Great. Thanks for the responses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.