Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Or do you need a more extroverted personality to work in accounting at a big firm?

I can talk to people and make friends and stuff but I'm not that chatty and I am more of the reserved type who gets on with their work.

ReputationRep:
    The big four can be quite political so you'll need to make your voice heard and try to be social and outgoing but you can survive there as an introvert if you make some effort to talk to people and build relationships with clients.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to be social but you can still do that while being an introvert, just have to put yourself out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squish562)
    Or do you need a more extroverted personality to work in accounting at a big firm?

I can talk to people and make friends and stuff but I'm not that chatty and I am more of the reserved type who gets on with their work.
    Isn't accounting basically made for introverts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Isn't accounting basically made for introverts?
    Not really, both extroverts and introverts work in accounting. Accounting at a big4 tends to have more extroverted personalities.

ReputationRep:
    You would think so, but the top of many different fields are dominated by the loudmouth, speak first think later personality type. You will need to be able to play the political game and know how to defend yourself, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    No not really, sen managers and above are very loud and extroverted

ReputationRep:
    Most accountants I've met are introverted. You'll do fine. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdude)
    Most accountants I've met are introverted. You'll do fine. Don't worry about it.
    really? I was on a insight week and all the people i met were very extroverted

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Extroversion is overrated anyway. There's more business development focus in big4 these days (mostly M/SM and above) but you can easily move into a different role or company by then.
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    really? I was on a insight week and all the people i met were very extroverted
    Sampling error. You get a certain type of staff signing up for those events; people like me who need a break from the office, think it's a brilliant opportunity to meet new people, and don't mind speaking to crowds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.