Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is duolingo good for improving grades in french at edexcel gcse level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again, for helping with my gcse french queries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTim96)
    Any website where you can test your vocabulary for French will improve your grade significantly. What I did was use the website Memrise which a basically a website full of flashcards. Your exam board will have a long list of vocabulary on their specification that they can test you on in the exam. They can't test you on vocab outside of this list. For AQA it was like 1850 words or something, and these flashcards were luckily pre made on Memrise (someone else had already made all these flashcards and they were free to use so I didn't have to waste time making flashcards!).

I started Year 11 on a D in French, but I managed to learn around 1000 of the words throughout the year (I probably started learning in November just before December mocks). I ended up with an A* in French, with an A in listening and an A* in reading (I got 43/45 in the exam!) plus 2 A*s in speaking and writing to bump up my grade.

My advice for French would be:
    - Use a flashcard site and learn as much of the vocab on the specification as possible.
    - Work HARD on your coursework if you have any because this could bump up your grade significantly, I think I got full marks on writing which really helped.
    - Past papers - as many practice questions as you can! My plan was to do loads of past papers the weekend before the exam but I couldn't because I was vomiting due to how nervous I was! Leave extra time so this doesn't happen to you, you can't rely on the weekend before and you have to allow for illness etc.

ReputationRep:
    I used duolingo, tbh I think it's simply a waste of time. What I found to be better was going through reading past papers and then highlighting words i didn't know/came up frequently, and then memoriing these words. Also, you can do it as a competition, by writing these words on a flashcard and then seeing how many seconds it takes to do them all.

ReputationRep:
    get good coursework and learn a bit of vocab and you'll get an A. if you are smart enough, you'll be able to deduce the meaning of alooooot of words by looking at the structure and their links to english and latin. 45% of all English words, so ya know lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Any website where you can test your vocabulary for French will improve your grade significantly. What I did was use the website Memrise which a basically a website full of flashcards. Your exam board will have a long list of vocabulary on their specification that they can test you on in the exam. They can't test you on vocab outside of this list. For AQA it was like 1850 words or something, and these flashcards were luckily pre made on Memrise (someone else had already made all these flashcards and they were free to use so I didn't have to waste time making flashcards!).

I started Year 11 on a D in French, but I managed to learn around 1000 of the words throughout the year (I probably started learning in November just before December mocks). I ended up with an A* in French, with an A in listening and an A* in reading (I got 43/45 in the exam!) plus 2 A*s in speaking and writing to bump up my grade.

My advice for French would be:
    - Use a flashcard site and learn as much of the vocab on the specification as possible.
    - Work HARD on your coursework if you have any because this could bump up your grade significantly, I think I got full marks on writing which really helped.
    - Past papers - as many practice questions as you can! My plan was to do loads of past papers the weekend before the exam but I couldn't because I was vomiting due to how nervous I was! Leave extra time so this doesn't happen to you, you can't rely on the weekend before and you have to allow for illness etc.
    So would you advise me printing out the edexcel spec for french words i need to know and in addition using sites like memrise and apps like duolingo daily?
    Alongside frequent completion of past papers?

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo + http://www.memrise.com/home/ + Good coursework = Guaranteed A*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.