Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've enrolled on a QCF Foundation Diploma in art and design, It's the only closest relevant access course that is in line with my interests. Honestly, I do not ant to do it! I want to study game design, or computer science at university. I am 21 years old so mature student? right.. I have been working full time and out of education since 2013 but in my free time I have self-taught and experimented with game related designing (I have a personal statement supporting all of this) My question is, should I bother having my reference complete the form and try my luck calling up universities for a place on a game design course via clearing? I know I am ready to study at degree level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demonzon)
    I've enrolled on a QCF Foundation Diploma in art and design, It's the only closest relevant access course that is in line with my interests. Honestly, I do not ant to do it! I want to study game design, or computer science at university. I am 21 years old so mature student? right.. I have been working full time and out of education since 2013 but in my free time I have self-taught and experimented with game related designing (I have a personal statement supporting all of this) My question is, should I bother having my reference complete the form and try my luck calling up universities for a place on a game design course via clearing? I know I am ready to study at degree level
    You should ring up the unis and ask over the phone. Time is ticking I'm afraid. You could also ask about being put onto a foundation course then move onto the full degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoujr)
    You should ring up the unis and ask over the phone. Time is ticking I'm afraid. You could also ask about being put onto a foundation course then move onto the full degree?
    I'd definitely be up for a foundation year which leads onto the degree afterwards, although I was told previously that this year doesn't allow maintenance loans. That you only qualify for an advance learner loan to cover the course fee.

Just to point out, the art and design diploma is the only closest thing in my area that I can travel to from home. I have looked into four year degrees with the first being foundation but I cannot financially support myself if I do no qualify for maintenance loans on the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demonzon)
    You might want to try an access to HE computer science course? From that you should have no problem getting onto a good degree.

Without level 3 qualifications you will find it very hard - especially at this late stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    You might want to try an access to HE computer science course? From that you should have no problem getting onto a good degree.

Without level 3 qualifications you will find it very hard - especially at this late stage.
    I have looked, but no one year access courses in computing are close enough to me.

I am mostly looking to get into game design/development but have gained most of these skills through self-teaching in my own time after work. I have so much to offer the university

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.