Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at some medicine uni courses and some of them require 4 as levels however I am unsure whether this was for the old syllabus. I am going to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics, however I really don't want to do physics and I can't see myself doing any other a levels. If I drop physics after two or three weeks, will the unis know? And does it look bad if I only take 3 as levels or should I do 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 42915)
    I was looking at some medicine uni courses and some of them require 4 as levels however I am unsure whether this was for the old syllabus. I am going to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics, however I really don't want to do physics and I can't see myself doing any other a levels. If I drop physics after two or three weeks, will the unis know? And does it look bad if I only take 3 as levels or should I do 4?
    You probably still need 4 as levels however you don't need 4 sciences I think only Oxbridge ask for 3 you just need chemistry and another science that's really it in terms of what you have to take the other 2 A levels are your choice completely. So don;t do Physics if you don't want to.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 42915)
    If you drop Physics before you apply via UCAS the universities will not know. Unless your reference mentions it, which is unlikely, and doesn't matter anyway.

3 A-levels are sufficient for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're still unsure when looking at uni entry requirements, maybe try contacting admissions? When I was looking this time last year, some unis were fairly explicit in saying they'd be changing policies to reflect the changes to A levels. In any case, I'm fairly certain no unis require four full A levels for medicine, given the standard offer across the board tends to be AAA.
    If the places you want to go to want a fourth AS level, you have a couple of options. Some places will accept an EPQ as a fourth AS if you achieve a certain grade in it, which is something to consider.

If you really don't like physics, may I ask why you're taking it? Is there another subject that you like better/think might be more interesting? In terms of subjects you literally only need bio and chem for pretty much everywhere (except Cambridge I think?), so your chances of a place won't be affected by a different choice of third/fourth subject. By taking a subject you really don't want to do you risk not putting the work in through lack of motivation, which at A level is pretty fatal in terms of grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 42915)
    Do 4 as levels and make sure you pick a subject you can do well in as your fourth as level. And then carry on bio Chem and maths to A2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.