The Student Room Group

Slimming down for my wedding

Hi,
Everyone I am trying to slim down for my wedding. I need some advise on which diet plan to join slimming world, weight watchers or Atkins?
Original post by Zara1989
Hi,
Everyone I am trying to slim down for my wedding. I need some advise on which diet plan to join slimming world, weight watchers or Atkins?

I've heard many success stories from slimming world.
However you don't need to join any. Just exercise. Make healthy choices and burn more calories that you consume.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've had a lot of success with weight watchers, however I would argue that for lots of people they will be equally successful using something like myfitnesspal. I personally found the classes motivating and I made lots of friends which helped me on my journey. But it's no secret that weight loss is simple, eat less and move more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The main thing is that your wedding dress has perfectly fit to your body type. Even if you don't loose weight, but you'll have a perfect dress, that would emphasize the advantages of your body, it's gonna be a win-win. A well-chosen dress is always win-win for any types of body.
Reply 4
Original post by Olya.Parisdress
The main thing is that your wedding dress has perfectly fit to your body type. Even if you don't loose weight, but you'll have a perfect dress, that would emphasize the advantages of your body, it's gonna be a win-win. A well-chosen dress is always win-win for any types of body.

Hey
Yeah you do have a point, I am a size 12 right now going on to a 14, but I really want to go down to a size 8 again, but I am so busy right now with work and household responsibilities, i have zero motivation.
I started slimming world challenge but gave up after a few days.... I am really struggling.
Reply 5
Original post by myblueheaven339
I've had a lot of success with weight watchers, however I would argue that for lots of people they will be equally successful using something like myfitnesspal. I personally found the classes motivating and I made lots of friends which helped me on my journey. But it's no secret that weight loss is simple, eat less and move more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I struggle with the moving part more, because of the nature of my job and just general laziness. I have never tried weight watchers, I have tried slimming world. I just need some motivation to keep me going i guess. I do like my fitness pal, but its not a weight losing program its just a tool you record your calories in.
Reply 6
Thanks for replying guys, I just did not know how to check the replies on here lol I finally learnt it today.
Thanks for replying guys, I just did not know how to check the replies on here lol I finally learnt it today.

Congratulations on the wedding!

Work out your BMR (basal metabolic rate (basically how much you'd burn if you lay in bed all day)) then count calories so that you're below that amount. As you lose weight adjust the BMR and number of calories.

I've just started doing this and just keeping a log of the calories I eat in a day is helping me keep to the amount I want - it's like "ooh that kit kat looks good, but hmmm I've only got 50 calories left today so I shouldn't". I find the numbers motivating if that makes sense?

I weigh and measure myself every sunday so I can see myself lose weight in the numbers - again motivating.

You said you don't have time for exercise but even just a 10 minute jog round the block can be built upon. I'm super unfit (and super fat) and I've been doing 8 minutes on an exercise bike 2 or 3 times a day - I plan on increasing this as I get fitter. Have you heard of "couch to 5k"? It's a fitness program where you build up the amount of running you do until you can do 5km. All you need are trainers and an mp3 player/phone. Might be worth trying?

As another thing - I got a picture of myself on the beach a few years ago when I had a great figure and put the picture on the fridge. Everytime I'm tempted I see the picture and think is the cake really worth it. My mother has a picture of a certain dress she wants to fit in and has that on the fridge, you could do a picture of your dream wedding dress or a celebrity whose figure you admire.

I hope this was helpful. :smile: Good luck and I hope you achieve your goals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I'm getting married in a year and a half and have been thinking about this since we got engaged 6 months ago. I started by losing what they call the extra 'fluid'. I essentially followed a calorie counting diet for about 3 months till I stagnated. That's when your body has gotten used to your crash diet. Now I'm on a slow and steady weight loss diet which is essentially a low carb, high protein diet with a 'legs, bums, tums' sculpting work out once a week. Weekends I'm allowed treats. I did two things before I started though:
1. Work out what dress style you're looking for so you have something to work towards.
2. Work out what your target weight is for your height (think BMI).

You don't want to go the other extreme and look too skinny or unhealthy on your wedding day. Not eating properly can have effects on your general fitness levels, energy levels and of course skin condition.
Reply 9
Me and my partner are doing the same for our wedding in July next year, after bringing the date forward. We haven't joined any groups yet but in just over a month he has managed to lose a stone by cutting out takeaways and eating healthier meals such as homemade soup instead, switching to low fat cheese, butter, milk etc and goes swimming twice a week. If you only need to tone up then this is a good way to go :smile: if you do want to join a group though, I have heard a lot of good things about the groups mentioned but in my area, Slimming World has the best reputation.

Good luck with the weight loss and wedding :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah go for SlimmingWorld. My friend recently lost 3 stone in 3 months by following their diet plan and recipes while of course doing a fair amount of exercise. Hope everything works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest