The Student Room Group

A level maths and physics - NEED ADVICE PLS

I'm going to be study maths further maths physics economics, so I'm wondering whether to take the statistic or mechanic modules which would be suitable with my a level options? Btw GCSE I dreaded stats but I was good at it, algebra is my best strength when it comes to maths I achieved an A at GCSE and was a mark off an A*, during exams I lost most of my marks on basic things like fractions and stem and leaf but based on self marking I got all of the marks I could get on the last half of the paper (A/A* grade topics) so neither algebra or stats is a problem

Btw how useful is maths and further maths when it comes to helping me with physics I've been told that taking these two complimentary subjects will make physics much easier ? Well at least 50% of it but is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nadiakms
I'm going to be study maths further maths physics economics, so I'm wondering whether to take the statistic or mechanic modules which would be suitable with my a level options? Btw GCSE I dreaded stats but I was good at it, algebra is my best strength when it comes to maths I achieved an A at GCSE and was a mark off an A*, during exams I lost most of my marks on basic things like fractions and stem and leaf but based on self marking I got all of the marks I could get on the last half of the paper (A/A* grade topics) so neither algebra or stats is a problem

Btw how useful is maths and further maths when it comes to helping me with physics I've been told that taking these two complimentary subjects will make physics much easier ? Well at least 50% of it but is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Taking same subjects, looks like a lot of people are, so 'll wait for a reply aswell
Reply 2
Mechanics and physics do cross over a lot and mechanics is just simulation us equations in some form in every question,lots of algebra in mechanics too. Do what you would enjoy most but I'd say mechanics is a good suggestion for you. I did maths and physics for a level but didn't do further.
Reply 3
Original post by TSRPAV
Mechanics and physics do cross over a lot and mechanics is just simulation us equations in some form in every question,lots of algebra in mechanics too. Do what you would enjoy most but I'd say mechanics is a good suggestion for you. I did maths and physics for a level but didn't do further.

do you think it helped taking the mechanic modules or do you think it's not necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by AdeptDz
Taking same subjects, looks like a lot of people are, so 'll wait for a reply aswell

Hi5 looool what you hoping to go in to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Also for the physics part I know for a fact that maths and further maths can only help to an extent and not 50%, the maths within physics itself isn't anywhere near as complex as pure maths or mechanics modules but still hard. Hardest parts of physics is knowing when to apply the equations and writing exactly what the mark scheme will want to see (key words,structure,detailed knowledge,details of experiments and the theories,outcomes and analysis of what to plot and what the gradient will represent etc.) I'd say that you will struggle to do physics without maths but if you take maths you won't need to know much more than AS maths to do the whole a level physics. You will be required to know when to use 2 or 3 equations by what the question asked you and sub the equations into each other to get and answer. Learn how to rearrange equations and derive units

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most sixth forms / colleges decide to do either M1 or S1 they don't let students decide.Not sure what your situation is? being honest S1 is quite boring, M1 is a lot better as a module.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also what are you wanting to do in terms of after A levels?
Reply 8
Original post by TSRPAV
Also for the physics part I know for a fact that maths and further maths can only help to an extent and not 50%, the maths within physics itself isn't anywhere near as complex as pure maths or mechanics modules but still hard. Hardest parts of physics is knowing when to apply the equations and writing exactly what the mark scheme will want to see (key words,structure,detailed knowledge,details of experiments and the theories,outcomes and analysis of what to plot and what the gradient will represent etc.) I'd say that you will struggle to do physics without maths but if you take maths you won't need to know much more than AS maths to do the whole a level physics. You will be required to know when to use 2 or 3 equations by what the question asked you and sub the equations into each other to get and answer. Learn how to rearrange equations and derive units

Thank you so much this is honestly so helpful btw did you take stats or mechanics may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
do you think it helped taking the mechanic modules or do you think it's not necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not nessasery but yes I guess it helps,however when I did it there was no correlation between people doing well in mechanics maths because they did physics mechanics.This is mostly due to some people getting cocky cos you learn physic mechanics first and they don't try as hard in maths and then miss out concepts. Either way mechanics is really easy once it clicks and every question is almost the same. Don't worry about taking mechanics just cos you do physics,take stats if you prefer and you'll do just as well if you study for it.
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanics modules help a lot, for our course 1 of the two major modules in Physics was just 'Mechanics', so doing it in Further Maths before made it really easy, just had to do definitions in class. There's a lot of overlap so it helps a lot. M1 is probably enough, M2 is overboard for physics AS but fun if you enjoy mechanics.
Reply 11
Original post by james Thompson56
Most sixth forms / colleges decide to do either M1 or S1 they don't let students decide.Not sure what your situation is? being honest S1 is quite boring, M1 is a lot better as a module.

I get to choose luckily I chose stats so far but I'm most likely going to change it again when school starts and does mechanics require a whole load of algebra or is other stuff too? I haven't been really explained :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Yeah some colleges allow you to choose to either do mechanics or stats so m1,m2 or s1,s2. This happened at a college my friends went to,at my sixth form we did s1 in AS and then m1 in A2. But yes it depends on what you college offers and at some you can choose.
Reply 13
Thank you so much this is honestly so helpful btw did you take stats or mechanics may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did s1 in AS and then m1 in A2 as that's what my college offered
Reply 14
Original post by JN17
Mechanics modules help a lot, for our course 1 of the two major modules in Physics was just 'Mechanics', so doing it in Further Maths before made it really easy, just had to do definitions in class. There's a lot of overlap so it helps a lot. M1 is probably enough, M2 is overboard for physics AS but fun if you enjoy mechanics.

thank you for your help and which a level out of those do you find the most difficult ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi5 looool what you hoping to go in to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

maths/economics/finance & stats at uni
after uni - banking

How about you??
Reply 16
Original post by TSRPAV
I did s1 in AS and then m1 in A2 as that's what my college offered

which one was the most enjoyable to you may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Also what are you wanting to do in terms of after A levels?

I'm off to uni to do mechanical engineering in a month but I might change to aerospace engineering at the uni as you can move across the disaplines cos engineering is broad and the modules are very similar
Original post by TSRPAV
Yeah some colleges allow you to choose to either do mechanics or stats so m1,m2 or s1,s2. This happened at a college my friends went to,at my sixth form we did s1 in AS and then m1 in A2. But yes it depends on what you college offers and at some you can choose.

That's exactly what I'm doing S1 in AS and M1 at A2, how did you find them? I know and at my sixth form we weren't given a choice as we had teachers who had speciality in stats or mechanics.
Reply 19
Original post by AdeptDz
maths/economics/finance & stats at uni
after uni - banking

How about you??

woahhhh and engineering / comp sci hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply